Are A4 1.4TFSI maintenance costs actually that high?

MarkD

Hi, new to the group and I am looking for some impartial advice I cannot find anywhere on the web.

I am on the verge of buying a pretty basic, entry level Audi - a 2017 A4 1.4TFSI Sport with 40k on the clock with dealer FSH for £11,000.

Everywhere I look on the web, I am being warned about catastrophic A4 maintenance and repair costs, even for the 1.4TFSI. At the same time I am noting that maintenance costs for the 1.4TFSI Octavia, Leon and Golf are reasonable. As many VW parts are interchangeable, surely the non-dealer maintenance costs for the A4 1.4TFSI will be comparable.  And the A4 1.4TFSI will be fairly cheap to maintain.

Am I missing something here?

In essence, what I am asking, is the 1.4TFSI Audi inherently more unreliable or expensive to repair and maintain compared to Octavias, Leons and Golfs, given that I will be taking it to my trusted local mechanic?

I would not have thought so - but will be very happy to be corrected.

Thank you for your help with this, as I cannot figure out the rationale for everything I have read this far.

Hi Mark

l have owned both Skoda Octavia (4 years) Audi A4 (2 years) Both being faultless. Both with the 1.4 Engine. Arguably the Skoda a better all rounder ,apart from its cheap noisy suspension. As a 17 plate is out of warranty you may well steer clear of main dealers to keep the maintenance cost reasonable. You are correct about the oily bits being basically VW. Best of luck, you pays your money and takes your chance with any car.

Mick