A4 B6 2.0 FSI - Timing belt replacement

James N

Hi All, this is my first post, so if I haven't managed to put this in the right section, I'm sorry.

I was having my timing belt replaced at a garage but had ordered in the parts myself. I ordered a Bosch 1987946407 kit + water pump. The mechanic said that this was the wrong part, the tensioner isn't compatible. The mechanic has also rung around a few people and come to a dead end this evening.

Does anyone know the OEM p/n or an aftermarket part number for the tensioner? and or a timing belt kit which has the correct piece? I don't need a water pump anymore as I have ordered.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3842 2.jpg

Hello James,

Sorry to hear of your issue. Of course, the answer lies with your local Audi dealer, who should be able to provide you with the correct tensioner from your VIN. 

As I understood it, you are not blessed with the same degree of aftermarket (motor factor) supply as we are in the U.K. so supply and information may not be as comprehensive as we enjoy. 

It would be great if you could let us know if that is still the case.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. I think there was someone on here who provided a link to getting part numbers from the VIN. Might be worth a search - or I will try later for you, 

Hi Magnet, thanks for your reply!

I have just got back from the local dealership but the post-sales guy wouldn't give me the part number, just how much it costs unfortunately. 

I have been looking online but there just doesn't seem to be anything that fits my layout of engine. Its an AWA, but going by the VIN, it's a slightly older spec'd one, and the parts just don't match.

I'll PM you my vin if that's something we can do on this forum, and in the mean time, I will continue to look around to find parts.

Thanks for your help!

Hello James,

Thanks for coming back. 

It’s probably me, but I’m beginning to lose the plot a bit here, and need to know if it is only the tensioner part of the kit which is wrong - you can obviously check if the belt is right or wrong by comparing it with the original. If it’s only the tensioner, then surely Audi can supply you with this, so I’m not sure why you want a part number - unless you are trying to buy an aftermarket one cheaper. 

I guess there comes a point at which the extra money to be spent on buying a tensioner or kit from Audi is warranted by the inconvenience of the car being off the road and blocking someone’s garage. 

As a matter of interest:- I only use genuine dealer cambelt kits where available, and certainly (without exception) only main dealer water pumps. If I have to use an aftermarket kit then the only brand I have/would use is Gates, but I would still only use a dealer water pump. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.