2.0TDi PD170 Turbo BV43

Ollie795

Hi everyone,

I'm not currently in need of a new turbo but when the time inevitably comes I'd like to know whats best to do, From a bit of research I've been doing, the turbo on my engine as in the title is a Borg Warner BV43 KKK turbo, from what I have found I have effectively 2/3 options, option 1 is get it reconditioned, but aside from requesting quotes I don't actually know who will rebuild this turbo if anyone and as I'm not at that stage I haven't bothered to get a quote.

Option 2 is to just buy a complete new OEM turbo ~£900 seems a bit over the top especially when the housings are hopefully in good condition all that needs to be done is change the core, I'm happy and confident to DIY it so quite a saving could be made by just replacing the core/cartridge.

Option 3 purchase an aftermarket turbo cartridge...

This option had me interested as you can get the equivalent cartridge for this turbo from a company called Melett and at a seemingly reasonable price of ~£180 but I have a few questions... How good are they compared to the OEM units? I have read about the horror stories of cheap Chinese turbo cores that cost circa ~£50 which I wouldn't expect much from and wouldn't bother with.

I have also spoken to a friend who had the same car a while back and needed the turbo replacing at 215k Miles! they went to a very reputable tuning shop and they say to only ever use the OEM housing as nothing else will ever be as good, but surely if the Melett ones are made to the same 'OEM' standard surely there can't be anything in it...can there?

On a slight side note from what I have been reading a turbo core from a Borg Warner BV43a which was used in far bigger quantity (thus cheaper) on the newer Common rail 2.0TDi VAG engines can be fitted into the housing of a BV43 and due to the improved blade design can reduce low down RPM lag which would be a nice improvement, does anyone know if this is true?  

Might prove an interesting topic!