EGR, Engine management light on (amber)

Dorian

Hi guys. Its been about a month that my eml has been on. Taken to garage and it was reset. Came back on. Took it to audi and their diagnostic shows a fault P200200. Apparently EGR is blocked. They asked too much money to replace. Took the car to someone i know and he opened it up and said the EGR looks fine to me. Tried the cataclean but nothing happened, eml still on. The car still driving ok, no loss of power as far as I can tell. Any advice??? Replace EGR or just delete the EGR and DPF???

thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Edited by Dorian
Forgot to add info

Hi, the first question is have you had the light put out as the cataclean may have done its job but you won't know because most emission related faults will be locked in until deleted regardless of the cause being fixed or cleaned.

With regard to the strip down by your friend you cant visually tell if the units working correctly however clean it appears, furthermore did he check the inside of the cooler?, these are often the source of the alleged blockage as these systems are very refined and twitchy because all the valves from 2009 onward use electromagnetic drive systems which throw a paddy if there is the slightest impediment of the actual valve movement, the old type vacuum operated had a propensity to stick open throw up no EML and just feed the cat and dpf the worlds supply of oil enriched exhaust gas until they failed as well.

Then we have the turbo of which most modern diesels have they are normally variable vane, so you can imagine all that sticky stuff will eventually ruin that as well, prime example which I realise is not an Audi but the same principles apply, I had changed the egr on my Mondeo six months before I had to change the turbo, six months after that it kept throwing up a light and limp mode, the coding was for vanes sticking within the turbine, I phoned the company I bought the turbo from and explained my problem, they immediately explained it was probably the egr causing the problem, I replied that I had replaced the egr just over a year ago but the guy was adamant and stated that they would clean the turbo for a small fee, but guaranteed I would be back to square one in record time, I bit the bullet and bought a genuine Ford egr put that on and used a whole can of Lucas spray down the air inlet hose turbo cleaner, the old valve was stripped as it was redundant and with the valve in parked position the diesel I poured in leaked out revealing that the seat was not sealing against the valve, the liquid disappeared in less than twenty seconds and you could not see the gap with the naked eye and in view of the surface tension of the liquid which is definitely higher than gas, it wasn't doing what it was designed to.

The end result was that it ran for another fifteen months or another 90k until I had to replace the ruddy egr again for the same reasons[ used as a taxi], I have racked up some 850,000 miles between the first three cabs I had, from the MK111 Mondeo euro 4 which despite my best efforts still smoked on acceleration like the HMS Belfast trying to escape the Bismarck, then the MK4 and MK4/5 Mondeos which had a lot better emissions set up but still lived up to the legend of the badge Fix Or Repair Daily, having done 50k since owning the Audi I am of the opinion that if the Audi is treated with respect and care they will easily out last the Ford.