Timing belt kit

Bickiebake

Hello Darren,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum and for asking your interesting and meaningful question.

Some may consider, that simply ‘getting the cambelt changed’ is the only action which needs to be worried about, and have little concern about the quality of the components used, particularly since some aftermarket suppliers are fond of using/misusing the term O.E. 
So taking this one step at a time - water pump? Main dealer only, without exception in my book. Others may have different opinions, but I might even be prepared to leave the original, rather than replace it with an unknown aftermarket one. 
Belt kits? There are some well respected aftermarket brands available, but again, from preference, I stick with main dealer kits for this critical application. If I have deviated from this on occasions, then I use Gates belt kits ( but not their water pumps), since Gates were/are the OEM supplier to many of the motor manufacturers. I have a genuine Audi kit here for the older 1.8 engine, and although the belt box is covered in Audi logos, the belt within the box is branded Gates. 
Appreciating main dealer parts are expensive, it is possible to buy (mail order) at discount, which then make the kits and water pumps more attractive price wise in comparison with aftermarket. In my book, it’s a question of buy once and wisely, particularly for critical applications. 
For Audi parts at discount, you could try Audi Parts Direct (at Cardiff Audi - Mon Motors) or Aberdeen Audi. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. It’s always worth changing the serpentine belt at the same time, using Gates if you must deviate. 

• 5 months later...

hi, the  genuine audi water pump is made and supplied by a few manufactures, INA is the main one,others are PIERBURG ,mayle,hepu, just go to (7 ZAP. com) put in all your details, you will find every genuine part number.

20210809_114419.jpg

Edited by orac