Which engines more reliable

Jamesb23

Hi I’m new to Audi and looking to buy a  used Audi A3 so far my choices are 2006 2.0l tfsi 

2008 2.0 tdi 

2008 1.4 tfsi 

I’m wondering if anyone could help me figure out which one of these engines are  the most reliable as I’m hearing bad stories about Audi A3 but for some reason I still want one 

James.

If these 13-15 year old cars you are looking at are still running I'd say they have all proven their reliability. How long are you expecting your purchase to keep going?

Personally I can vouch for my own 2007 2.0 TDI, but then I have zero experience of other engines for comparison, so don't rely on my opinion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jamesb23 said:

Hi I’m new to Audi and looking to buy a  used Audi A3 so far my choices are 2006 2.0l tfsi 

2008 2.0 tdi 

2008 1.4 tfsi 

I’m wondering if anyone could help me figure out which one of these engines are  the most reliable as I’m hearing bad stories about Audi A3 but for some reason I still want one 

Hi, I would say that what Clifford has said is bang on but the particular end of the pool you are considering diving into is complex as some of these cars are without doubt cheap but look beyond the bling polished finish, if the car has starship milage on it I don't care if the bodywork is pristine unless it has a comprehensive service history [oil and filter changes are not the be all and end all] you have to consider that most of the suspension bushes/shocks unless changed recently are probably shot and unless you are prepared to roll up your sleeves could be an expensive hobby, you are buying an old car which will without doubt have problems looming in the distance, most of the guys on here have had their Audis from within usable age/milage and have been rigorous in the maintenance  of these vehicles which is a pretty thin commodity these days.

The other thing to consider is the VED rate as in about four years of ownership that could add up to a fair chunk of the original vehicle purchase price and this is without repair costs, if I were in your position I would be aiming at a later car with lower milages it will save you money in the long run, as for the problems with any car A3 or otherwise if you factor out known manufacturer problems most of the problems are caused by the lack of interest by the owner in any warning lights that appear and will carry on driving for months with that EML because it won't be a worry until the Mot by which time the problem may well have caused failure of a major component further down the line, EML warnings are designed to come on when there is a compromised component in the emissions functions or braking efficiency, every warning has a purpose therefore the owners are normally the architects of all the bad things you keep hearing about, neglect and age related wear are not the manufacturers fault.

I wish you luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it , it’s just a car for a couple of years or longer if it lasts just a second car for me to take my kids places when my partner is working shifts 😉👍