Smelly washers

La La

Hi, anyone come across a problem with smelly windscreen washers, smells like rotten eggs when operated even without screen wash. Any help appreciated. Cheers

Also can anyone tell me how to reset self Close on drivers window. Cheers

Edited by La La
Extra question

I had this issue years ago when I put washing up liquid in my screenwash. It appears it went off, and started to smell.

FIxed by flushing through with water, then using quality screenwash. Took a while to clear though.

Just now, greysquirrel said:

I had this issue years ago when I put washing up liquid in my screenwash. It appears it went off, and started to smell.

FIxed by flushing through with water, then using quality screenwash. Took a while to clear though.

Also nice to see another Keith on here!

Hello Keith, 

This is a very common issue, and unfortunately it occurs whether you add screenwash fluid or not - most people do of course. 
I never buy ‘ready to use’ screenwash since I’m too tight to pay for water! - so I mix mine from concentrate with a 25% mix, and usually have some mixed ready to add. This will smell of stagnant water in a short space of time, so I tend to keep my reservoir only half full, and top up more frequently. 
Yes, the smell is unpleasant, but the main follow-on issue here is, that the mix will next coagulate and clog your washer system. 
It’s worth flooding the reservoir with a running hose pipe, before syphoning to empty, then filling to half full with a fresh mix. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.m

Hi Gareth, thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you think it would be worthwhile filling the reservoir with a sterilising solution then draining after a while, then refilling with screenwash. Cheers Keith 

11 hours ago, greysquirrel said:

Thanks for the info

Hello Keith,

Thorough flushing followed by filling with a sterilising solution and leaving overnight before emptying and half filling with the screenwash mix, is certainly worth a try. However, I fear anything is going to be a short term ‘solution’. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.