Audi A3 1.8 t Quattro oil grade

Chrisa38l

Hello Christopher, 

The owners handbook will be the correct place to reference. Do you have it to hand? If you don’t, then you would be wise to obtain a copy (eBay should lead you to one).

There are looking-up references ( which I haven’t looked up, but you can) and again that should be worth looking into. 
My guess ( and a guess it is) is that the grade should be 5w/30 - fully synthetic. If so, I would be minded to use Quantum Longlife ( often sold on EBay) since this was/is a VAG recommended brand. 
Of course, filtration is equally important, and if not using a genuine VAG one, then the only aftermarket brands I would use would be from Mann or Bosch. 
Personally, I would avoid any ‘deal’ type purchases of oil-and-filter from certain large online retailers. The brands of filters were once respected - with the emphasis on ‘once’! 
Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Christopher,

If 5w/30 fully synthetic is the handbook-recommended oil , and you have been using Quantum Longlife, why do you want to deviate from it? 
Is the car using oil? 
If you are insistent on deviating - since some suggest you do (will be advantageous?) then I would stay away from semi synthetic 10w/40 ( synthetic technology as some marketing executives wish to call it!). Appreciate there has been some recent debate about it on here, but I would prefer to maintain my opinion about using it - but that’s my opinion. 
Perhaps you could let us know why you prefer to move away from 5w/30 Christopher. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Chrisa38l said:

Many thank I do use quantum 5w30 long life but looks very thin and a lot of people reference to 5w40 or 10w40 cheers 

Hi, the 5w-40 is better at protecting the engine at higher temperatures if you do a lot of motorway driving or when the summer heat exceeds the mid twenties, 5w and 10w oils have virtually the same cold flow characteristics when starting the 30-40 end is where they are different i.e  30 is good up to 30 degrees ambient temp whereas the 40 is good up to 50 degrees ambient temp. As long as its synthetic I won't matter.

Steve.