Engine light, no heat from blowers

Craig033

Hi all. I bought a A3 1.6 TDI 14 plate about 2 weeks ago at 39,600 miles and it’s just hit 40,000 and now I have a engine light come on and no heat from the blowers.. any idea on what this could be? I’ve had the car on Finance and have 3 months warranty on it. Any ideas if it’s something simple or? 

thank you

Hello Craig,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum, and sorry to hear you are having a little difficulty with your just-purchased A3. 
I think reasonable advice would be not to try to self-investigate the possible causes of the two problems, but simply return the car to the seller, and request they sort out the issues under warranty. 
Personally, I would be following up every communication with an e-mail, confirming the issues discussed and the actions to be taken. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for just information really on if anyone has had this problem before or not just for a heads up. Warranty company are asking me to take it to a garage for a diagnostic check which can’t be done for 2 weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Thanks Craig,

The EML could be due to any number of issues - which will only be assessed on a diagnostic check. 
Heater issue - could be matrix, or other some issues associated with controls. Again can only be assessed on inspection and testing. 
Apologies, but you shouldn’t need to concern yourself about what is causing the problems, but just how they are to be resolved.

’......warranty company are asking me to take it .......’. 
My belief is that you shouldn’t have to be dealing with the warranty company at this very early period in your ownership - 2 weeks - but the responsibility for sorting it should first rest directly with the seller, not the warranty company. Be careful you are not being led down the wrong road - which I feel you might be! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Diagnostics been run and the EML is a electrical issue with the steering? Which going to be looked at and the garage seems to think it’s the water pump that’s gone hence the heaters not working. this was Friday.

so nipped out in the car yesterday and one side of the heaters are now blowing.. so it can’t be the water pump as why only 1 side. 

the car had a new heater matrix in feb this year, could it be just a air lock? 🤷‍♂️