Audi A1 2017 8x tyre up sizing

Zack32

Hi, I'm looking to upsize my audi a1 2017 wheels to 17 inches from my current 15 inch ones. 

I have a good offer on the tyre sizes 195/45/17 and 205/45/17 as part of the deal on the wheels. 

Anyone have any idea if these tyre sizes are okay as these are not recommended sizes. 

A bit worried the 205s might be too big. Want to consider factors like aesthetic, fuel efficiency and comfort. 

TIA,

Zack

Hello Zack,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum.

You raise a good question, since simply swopping wheel and tyre sizes is not at all straightforward in terms of acceptability - and that’s before you consider the insurance liability by fitting such non standard critical items.

Can you start by letting us know the current tyre size, and confirm this is a listed size for your model.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

Thanks for the response! 

My current tyre size is 185/60/15 which were the factory fitted tyres when I bought the vehicle and is a listed size for my model. 

I believe the other sizes recommended by Audi are

- 215/45/16

- 215/40/17

- 225/35/18

Thanks , 

Zack

Thanks Zack,

Simple things first:- 

The lower the profile ( the 60, 45 etc. bit) the harsher the ride will be, and to increase your wheel diameter the you are going to have to lower the profile, so that the outside diameter of wheel plus tyre remains the same as your current 60 profile 185 15 inch wheels. 
You can work it out by adding 2 x (60% of 185mm) to 15 inches - converted to mm. (1 inch = 25.4mm). 
Audi have really worked it out for you, in terms of acceptable larger-wheel alternatives, which you have listed. 
Messing about with alternative tyre sizes because they are cheaper ( due to popularity) can be a recipe for disaster and seldom works out, either economically - since you have to buy the larger wheels, or comfort-wise, due to lower profiles, or indeed with the insurance implications for fitting non standard wheels and tyres. 
In answer to ‘...will 205 be too wide..’ No, since Audi list up to 225.

Kind regards,

Gareth.