normal for a diesel to smoke during dpf regen?

arron1995

noticed that if i put my foot down while its doing a dpf regen the car smokes, its not massive amounts but only does it during regen, its hard to say what colour the smoke is without having someone tell me. but is this a normal thing?

can tell its during regen as the rpm sits at 1000rpm and the exhaust stinks of crud.

2 hours ago, arron1995 said:

noticed that if i put my foot down while its doing a dpf regen the car smokes, its not massive amounts but only does it during regen, its hard to say what colour the smoke is without having someone tell me. but is this a normal thing?

can tell its during regen as the rpm sits at 1000rpm and the exhaust stinks of crud.

Hi its quite normal its the DPF clearing its ash load, the smell is quite normal as well they all do it, its less spectacular on the euro six engines but noticeable all the same.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its quite normal its the DPF clearing its ash load, the smell is quite normal as well they all do it, its less spectacular on the euro six engines but noticeable all the same.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I couldn't really find a clearcut answer from the old Google search, some were saying its not normal for smoke on dpf regen others were saying it is.

Hi Arron, after owning three diesel cabs equipped with DPFs and having covered 750k between them I have got a pretty fair idea of what goes on, they are all different the worst one being my 2.2 Titanium x sport Mondeo, one night I was late going to Gatwick for a pick up so I had become stuck on one of our local B roads, so the car had just started a regeneration  I threw a left up a side road, there was some poor soul on the grass verge on the corner letting his dog take a leak, as I looked back he was completely engulfed in a large cloud of whitish grey smoke, basically three days worth of ash, the car normally did this on the motorway in small puffs when accelerating it was quite spectacular in slower motion, the exhaust pressure is high on the motorway which evacuates the ash, same pressure when booting it up a side road.

Steve.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Arron, after owning three diesel cabs equipped with DPFs and having covered 750k between them I have got a pretty fair idea of what goes on, they are all different the worst one being my 2.2 Titanium x sport Mondeo, one night I was late going to Gatwick for a pick up so I had become stuck on one of our local B roads, so the car had just started a regeneration  I threw a left up a side road, there was some poor soul on the grass verge on the corner letting his dog take a leak, as I looked back he was completely engulfed in a large cloud of whitish grey smoke, basically three days worth of ash, the car normally did this on the motorway in small puffs when accelerating it was quite spectacular in slower motion, the exhaust pressure is high on the motorway which evacuates the ash, same pressure when booting it up a side road.

Steve.

that poor man lol, good to know its normal though mate, i use my car mainly on the motorway but when i get home, the traffic through the city is shocking and thats when i see my regens