A3 Etron Sportsback 2015 - MMI Crashing.

TheButcherofBG

Hello.  I'm new to Audi's and to this forum and I wondered if anyone can help me please?

I recently bought an Audi A3 Etron Sportsback 2015 from an independent dealer in Essex.  I love the car.  Big BUT.  I've found it has a very annoying problem.  Every now and then the MMI system turns itself off, the radio/music goes off, the screen puts itself away and the control knobs and buttons do not do anything.  2 mins later it starts back up again and says "initialising" screen pops back up, radio carries on etc.  But then 2 mins later it does it all over again in a kind of crashing loop.  Very annoying.

When its in this state I can "soft reset" and it will come back on but it doesn't actually reset anything it just turns back on again but still continues to crash again and loop.

The dash display just says "Entertainment off" when it crashes.  Its just as if the volume control knob is being pressed down. (but obviously it isn't)  and it just says "initialising" when it comes back on again.  It might do this 6 or 7 times before becoming stable again.

I have it under an extended AA warranty so I took it  to my local Audi Dealer and they said they did replicate the problem but don't know why its happening.  They suspected and loose wire but checked the wiring loop as far as the time would allow (first hr) but want to take the whole dash out to inspect further at a cost of £180 per hour and it will take them approx 4 hours.  This would not be covered by the AA warranty.  They also said the MMI does not need an update.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem and how to fix it?  How much is a new MMI system fitted?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick.

If you bought the car within the 30 days my advice would be to take it back to the dealer to sort which should be done FOC as you are entitled to a full refund up to 30 days. It might just need an update. 

17 hours ago, TheButcherofBG said:

So Audi say its a fault with the 5F unit.  Cost to replace £4435.

Is the 5F unit the box in the glove box with the SD card slots & Sim card slot?

Sorry to hear that. No idea to be honest. Can you source a second hand one?