New Q3 with Leather/Alantara seats ? real leather

Willie67

have a 2019 Q3 Sport  1.5TSFI . I chose the leather/alcantara seats which I think was an optional extra on the Sport . I have been using leather conditioner ( not on the Alcantara obviously) But I am not convinced all that looks leather is actually real leather . Some parts in particular like back of front seats looks like a fake leather . Either that or it is a thick hard leather rather than a soft supple leather . The side bolsters on drivers seat looks more like real leather especially now it has worn a bit or " Broken in" I just want to know so I can use the most appropriate products . I asked Audi UK on Facebook Messenger and they got back to me very quickly but said they did not know and advised me to contact my local dealer . I asked someone at my local dealer in the past and he said Real leather but I don't think he actually knew any more than me . It is described as Leather/Alcatara in options list but Faux leather or Vegan ( Non animal ) leather is often just described as "Leather" It is surprising and frustrating how difficult it is to get a definitive answer to this

Hi , here goes, the only cars built with all leather seats are Bentleys, Rolls Royce and some top end Mercedes and BMWs, the rest of us lower end users have to exist with leather fascias on the face of the back rest and the bolsters, the sides and back of the seat is Faux of varying qualities depending on the manufacturer and I don't think any Vegan would consider consuming this however attractive.

All the wear areas that you sit on are a painted colouring which is sealed with a clear plasticised coating to prevent cracking don't believe anyone who tells you that hide food sinks in it does not unless you have any of the above high end vehicles, the best products to clean the surfaces leather/faux is Autoglym cleaner after which use Autoglym leather balm which reseals the surface and prevents further dirt build up in the grain off the leather surfaces.

Steve.

Thanks for your reply Stevey Y . Since I posted i notice Audi Configurator for Q3 describes fabric as Alcantara/Mixed leather which i suspect is as you describe , real leather and faux leather on different parts of seat . This would ring true as some bits look real leather others don't . To be sure I understand you Autoglym Cleaner and leather balm can be used on both real leather and faux leather parts of seat ? I am not too fussed whether my seats are real or faux leather , just want to make sure I am using appropriate cleaning products . All looks quite hard wearing anyway . I know the more expensive leathers on furniture as well as car seats are softer and more luxurious feeling but may not wear as well as cheaper , usually thicker and less soft leathers

15 hours ago, Willie67 said:

Thanks for your reply Stevey Y . Since I posted i notice Audi Configurator for Q3 describes fabric as Alcantara/Mixed leather which i suspect is as you describe , real leather and faux leather on different parts of seat . This would ring true as some bits look real leather others don't . To be sure I understand you Autoglym Cleaner and leather balm can be used on both real leather and faux leather parts of seat ? I am not too fussed whether my seats are real or faux leather , just want to make sure I am using appropriate cleaning products . All looks quite hard wearing anyway . I know the more expensive leathers on furniture as well as car seats are softer and more luxurious feeling but may not wear as well as cheaper , usually thicker and less soft leathers

Hi the Autoglym is about the best I have found over three cabs and over 600k my two Fords were both alcantara and the Audi is full leather [alledgedly] a couple of times I had to have the drivers seat bolster repaired on the Fords and waited for one to be done at the upholsterers, the guy was only to pleased to point out what was leather and what was basically Faux, if you look at old Jag seats they will have cracks front and back and on the head rests because it is all real hide and are probably over forty years old.

The Autoglym cleaner is a mild detergent product and the balm is ph neutral [No acids or Alkalines] so is all they do is clean and protect and if Rolls Royce recommend them it must be ok, the real hide is tanned and the cheaper stuff we get is painted and sealed.

Steve.