Owl howl, judder now all gone - update

ThomasG

It's gone. The annoying problem of the low speed owl-like howl and the brake judder after 30 miles or so. Go with your gut reaction...

Despite paying for a new bearing (it wasn't that) and the garage then ignoring me when I asked to change the caliper, I went to a new garage - supplied my own parts and he immediately noticed the caliper was rough. "I can rebuild it" he said in a Six-Million Dollar Man way - but as I'd bought a new caliper and new discs and pads - I just asked him to replace the lot. He did - £75!!! And now, no judder, no howl. Seems counter-intuitive that the howl would be the caliper, but a friend who works for the wonderful A for Audi in Glasgow, said he'd seen it before - that combined with the judder seemed to indicate caliper. 

So - shout out (as the youth say), to Border High Performance in Norham, Northumberland for the fitting and wonderful customer service, to MTEC Brakes for the lovely grooved discs and pads (no issues with these at all - properly bedded them in - lots of smoke, but a nice polymerised coating on the discs now) https://www.mtecbrakes.com/, and to Brakeparts (https://brakeparts.co.uk/) for the excellent caliper and phone chat. 

Looking forward to this years roadtrip. Will either go clockwise round Scotland, as opposed to anti-clockwise last year, or may see if we can travel to Ireland and have ten days there.

One for the archives this.