2011 Q5 needs work- do I fix it or trade it in ?

Duckie155

My beloved 2011 Q5 needs work doing. I have had it 5 years & looked after it well. Always had the work done at my local Audi garage.  Last week I paid to have it looked over by Audi as it was making a noise which turned out to be the wheel bearing. Audi cam tells me..,,

It needs a replacement wheel bearing, a cv boot replacement, an intermediate steering column replacement & replacement bump stops.

Audi have quoted me £2000.

My independent garage has quoted £1000.

I am debating fixing it as the mileage is so high at 148,000. Plus if I use the independent garage will the parts be good enough, I have always had issues with the CV boots splitting on this car as I live down a very pot holey lane. I worry that 3rd party ones will be even more short lived. 

Is it time to get another used car & trade mine in or fix it cheaply & keep it going as at least I know what is wrong with this car? 

How many miles can a Q5 do?

Hi, the last question, how long is a piece of string, these vehicles are capable of starship milage if looked after with regard to the CV boot I personally would look into using Stretchy boots as these are made of rubber and nylon and generally speaking more robust than the original boots which are a moulded neoprene and tend to age badly and are more brittle, [look at stretchy boot fitting on youtube].

if its the bump stops on the shocks the kits for both front and back are about £25 each for a pair front and the same for the rears as for the intermediate steering column replacement I strongly suspect that its a bit of Audi kidology, sorry to point out the obvious but you are female therefore you are most unlikely to get it up on a ramp and have a look yourself thats what they rely on.

In the final analysis I would look further afield for a repairer and don't whatever you do give any hint of previous quotes before you have their honest no Cr@p opinion and price, then if its more reasonable get it fixed and keep the car, at least you know its history.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply.

I went to look at a few cars at FOW today but my worry is that I don’t know the car’s history. As you say at least I know my own car. 

I’ll look into the stretchy cv boots , thanks for the tip.

the steering wheel does have a lot of play in it so I think something is wrong with it. As time is passing I am occasionally noticing a grinding when I turn. 

I still can’t decide what to do for the best! 

Hello Sarah,

Definitely follow Steve’s sound advice, otherwise you stand a high risk of exchanging this car for another vehicle with unknown faults which are likely to cost around the same funds to fix. 
If it were mine, I would be approaching your trusted local garage, listing the items you wish them to inspect, and asking for a quote to carryout the work. You have to be confident with the outcome of their inspection. 

It really is that simple. If you follow the route of ‘only just looking at other available vehicles’, you are highly likely to fall in love with something, and being informed that it will carry a comprehensive warranty, so there won’t be any thing to worry about! Well not until you find out what the limitations of that warranty are. 
Just find yourself a recommended local garage where you can actually talk to the mechanics ( very important) rather than talking to Service Receptionists. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi, Sarah even if the steering joint is found to be at fault what price a new one compared with say injector failure on the new car you just bought, the trade sellers are all trying to unload cars as fast as possible, prime example being my daughters boyfriend who just bought a Fiesta ST with just under 50k on the clock for a very low price he has had it three weeks when I pointed out the discs and pads back and front are worn out, not covered by the warranty apparently so I managed to get him some quality replacement E11 approved discs and pads but its still cost him £160.00 for the parts, fortunately a joint assault on brakes meant he had no labour charges.

Steve.