Fuel Filler Door Stuck

PaulAFC84

Morning guys,

I’ve had a bit of a problem getting the fuel cap door open on my A6 C7 Avant. I had to prise it open to fill as I had to pick my Mum up from hospital.Any ideas on how to fix or replace the solenoid please? I’ve tried WD40 but it hasn’t done anything to help.

Many Thanks

Paul

55 minutes ago, PaulAFC84 said:

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply,is the solenoid quite easy to access?

Thanks

Paul

Hi, yeah the solenoid is easy enough to get at by removing the inner trim on the filler side of the boot its basically one 10mm bolt and an electrical connector, I would not bother electrically testing the unit as they are rubbish and can be bought on eBay for about twenty quid and the unit is plug in and play, there is also a video on youtube about fitting it.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, is it any particular part number? I’ve been looking at eBay today, would probably just swap it over if I went to the time to take it apart, just not sure what part to buy.

Thanks,

Paul

Morning everyone, and thanks for your help and information with this.I managed to swap the solenoid over which now works fine.The only problem I had whilst changing this over is that I split the rubber seal of the fuel tank inlet whilst removing the housing.Is this something you would bother replacing as well as I cannot repair it? I was looking at eBay for replacements, but most of these are located in Eastern Europe.

Many Thanks

Paul

Hi depending on how drastic the split is buy a tube of loctite black flange sealant clean the affected area with solvent abrade the edges either side of the split with sandpaper or similar then working with a small amount push the sealant into the split wiping the excess over the sides of split then as it begins to cure smooth it with a teaspoon dipped in white spirit.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your help,really appreciate it mate.I’ve ended up buying a fuel filler cap housing, complete with the rubber that I’d split.Hopefully the coloured flap is easy enough to remove and swap for the colour I have already.

Fingers crossed, but thanks again,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for your help Steve, 

I bought a replacement fuel tank housing from eBay and had to swap the body coloured flap over, but it’s all sorted now. Didn’t really take too long either, which was a bit of a bonus, second time around.

Many Thanks

Paul