Oil level sensor

Stevey Y

Hi, I have just discovered another insane piece of kit on my Audi, just over ten days ago I serviced my car [All Bosch filters and Quantum oil] measured the oil refill from a Sealy oil filler can 4.7litres all good went for a test run, came back checked the oil level on the MMI which tells me to reduce the oil level, ok, so took out 500ml, drove it again and rechecked the oil, still the same, it would appear that the oil level sensor is up the wall also fitted a new bonnet open warning switch as they are known to cause problems no big deal at £27.00 OE.

Now we come to the sensor itself £150.00 from my local Audi Dealers + a two day turn round, I declined gracefully and Saturday morning bagged the same sensor for £69.00 from my local spares outlet it will be available at nine tomorrow morning, pixxed off as I will have to fork out for more oil and a filter, I wonder which lunatic thought this system up I had three Fords which I racked up over 800,000 miles in and one of the only things that never failed was the Dipstick, have drivers become that lazy/stupid that they can't lift a bonnet and lift out the Dipstick, going to do the job tomorrow will try and post some pictures.

Steve.

• Like 1

I serviced mine a month ago. No issues. Pumped the oil out, 6litres, 5.5 in and dribble the rest. The mmi sensor thing has two stages it seems. Reading one, ignore...then 30 secs later a second reading. 

Sorry to hear about your sensor though. 

Hi Chaps, managed to fix the rogue sensor, the top picture was after I removed the splash guard, fourteen fixings, four massive splined bolts and the rest were an even split of Torx and Phillips headed screws, the fixings for the sensor were Torx  and please note the three millimetre thick metal shroud over the front facing area of the sensor  this is to prevent shearing in the event of a sump ground out.

When replacing the sensor I can recommend a smear of engine silicone as the gasket is pretty thin on the edges where it meets the sump face which is perfectly flat, just a bit of peace of mind, then rotate the tightening of the fixings to 10nm and again to 18nm.

The picture below the first shows both the new/old sensor spot the difference the one with the numbers on it is the O.E. sensor the Febi sensor has had all the numbers and logos removed but the numbers that remain are identical, so a little quiz, who made the original?, correct Febi but they can't be seen to be selling O.E. brand parts for less than half dealer price. BTW the reason for the failure is that there is a small PCB at the base of the unit which spends most of its life in boiling oil therefore dredging my memory I think its called built in obsolescence, designed to fail after a suitable period of time, this endorses my theory on aftermarket parts as long as you buy branded they are most likely the same as what you have taken off.

Steve. 

• 2 months later...

Hi - I have a 2.Ol diesel A4 Avant Quattro Sline - the oil level sensor readings are eratic and so I would like to fit a dipstick but Audi wont tell me the part number - can anyone out there help me with this please? Vin No = WAUZZZ8K3FA078635 / Engine No CGLC463883 - TIA DON