greyish smoke during dpf regen, normal? (cr170)

arron1995

as the title suggests, is this normal? the cars on just shy of 150,000 miles and i can only assume the dpf is probably close to being full, is it normal for a big plume of smoke to come out on the initial acceleration and then die down until the regen is complete? doesnt smoke apart from during the regen process.

35 minutes ago, arron1995 said:

as the title suggests, is this normal? the cars on just shy of 150,000 miles and i can only assume the dpf is probably close to being full, is it normal for a big plume of smoke to come out on the initial acceleration and then die down until the regen is complete? doesnt smoke apart from during the regen process.

Hi the smoke you refer to is the ash content being discharged it gets more noticeable as the car gains milage, your assumption that the DPF is close to full is a bit shy of the truth as the DPF will soon let you know when it is not even close to full by lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree as soon as the ash/soot loads start encroaching on the wrong side of acceptable, try using a cetane booster as this makes the soot particles smaller therefore the burnt ash behaves reciprocally and is less noticeable on its exit from the exhaust.

Steve.

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the smoke you refer to is the ash content being discharged it gets more noticeable as the car gains milage, your assumption that the DPF is close to full is a bit shy of the truth as the DPF will soon let you know when it is not even close to full by lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree as soon as the ash/soot loads start encroaching on the wrong side of acceptable, try using a cetane booster as this makes the soot particles smaller therefore the burnt ash behaves reciprocally and is less noticeable on its exit from the exhaust.

Steve.

thanks steve, I have a lot to learn about diesels and how they work, its not something ive been worried about, more so curious, especially coming from a petrol.

9 minutes ago, arron1995 said:

thanks steve, I have a lot to learn about diesels and how they work, its not something ive been worried about, more so curious, especially coming from a petrol.

Hi they are like chalk and cheese but the rule of thumb is use good fuel and service it every 9k and it will last forever ask Steve one of the moderators on here he has

squeezed over 300k out of his car and it shows no signs of giving up just yet.

Steve.

5 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi they are like chalk and cheese but the rule of thumb is use good fuel and service it every 9k and it will last forever ask Steve one of the moderators on here he has

squeezed over 300k out of his car and it shows no signs of giving up just yet.

Steve.

thats absolutely crazy, ive had the car now for just about 10,000 miles and its had 2 oil changes in that time, a new air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter and its about to have its second timing belt/water pump service and 4 new glow plugs, im hoping to get to 200,000 miles.

when i first did an oil chnage i was shocked to how dirty diesel engine oil gets, there was loads of tiny bits of carbon in, i pooped myself at first thinking it was metal.

Edited by arron1995
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arron1995 said:

thats absolutely crazy, ive had the car now for just about 10,000 miles and its had 2 oil changes in that time, a new air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter and its about to have its second timing belt/water pump service and 4 new glow plugs, im hoping to get to 200,000 miles.

Hi carry on looking after it as you are and I bet it will make the same milage as Steves and some more, I use my Avant as a cab and its just hit 100k with no real reason for it not to hit 250k plus by the time it can't be a cab any longer due to its age, I keep on top of the bodywork and interior so in another three years I might take up the years extension option just for the hell of it.

Steve.