Heater problem.

A3 owner

Hi I have an audi a3 1.4 tfsi 13 plate which seems to have developed a heater issue. 

The main blowers/demisters no longer blows out hot air, when the windscreen is fogged up they have always cleared it within a couple of minutes, over the last coupe of days they just blow out cold air and do nothing to demist.  Once I have drive the car for about 15 mins they will blow out warm air and clear the windscreen. The cabin heaters also take longer than usual to heat up, and don't get as hot as they previously used to, although they do get warm. 

I have checked the coolant level which is fine, I'm not sure about the engine temperature as its a digital display and I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Any ideas what the issue could be or anything else I can check? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Hello John from the Homeland.

Since the heating system appears to work after about 15 minutes driving, it would suggest that the system itself is probably OK.

Reason for your issues up to that 15 minute point?  Sounds typical of thermostat problems, where the thermostat remains partly open even when cold. 

No temperature gauge! Great technological move is that! 
I’m not sure how the digital display ‘works’ with your model, but I would have expected it to be a permanent display which indicates how quickly the coolant temperature rises, and above all, warns of any impending overheating. 
I take it you have an owners handbook. Have you had a look in there John? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth thanks for your reply, do you come from God's country as well? 

Hopefully it is a thermostat problem as I assume that's one of the cheaper solutions to fix, the heater does start to work after the 15 minutes although not quite as good as it would normally. 

I have had a look through the owners manual but i can't seem to find any info on temperature gauge. 

Is changing a thermostat something that a novice can attempt? Or would it be best left to a professional? 

Cheers

Hello John,

Yes John, unless someone has moved Cardiff out of S.Wales. 
Strange that the temperature ‘gauge’ isn’t mentioned in the handbook. 

Can anyone on here help John out out with this? 

Thermostat DIYable? 
Not really sure on your engine even if you let us know, but yes, been there on the old humble 1.6, although access to one bolt was rather tricky. No doubt someone will advise further if you let us know what engine you have. 

‘Leave to the professionals’? Maybe better unless you have some experience and necessary tools, and knowledge of how to bleed the coolant system. 
Sorry to bore folks on here, but I would insist on using only good quality parts ( if not using the probably expensive VAG part - at discount). Just don’t bother to do anything if cheapest price is king or good enough.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.