Rapid coolant loss two days after purchase, dealer says all good.

PNenov

Hi guys! Just registered in hurry, because I need help.

The car is A3 sportback, Sport trim, 2.0 TDI, 148 BHP.

Always wanted Audi, but have been scared from high running cost. Two days after biting the bullet and purchasing the car, it started loosing coolant rapidly. This happend after 14 mile trip on a motorway, and heavier traffic in the destination city. When I parked the car, I noticed a puddle under it, the car also left a trace approaching the parking space. When I checked the coolent level, it was lower than the minimum mark. Revisiting the car the next day, the coolant expansion reservoir was visibly empty. Dealer retrieved the car and a week later, he texted me that the mechanic drove the car extensively, but he could not recreat the problem. He suggested that the reason could have been trapped air. 

I am very sceptical about that and I am very worried the problem is still there and next time this could lead to engine overheating.

Should I just collect the car and hope for the best or seek another mechanic? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello P-?

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum.

It is obvious by your description, that the car was actually  - externally leaking - coolant, and being pessimistic, I think there would be little chance of anyone on here being able to diagnose the exact source of that leak without inspecting the car. 

Moving forward:- you certainly did the right thing by returning the car to the supplying dealer, and OK, they couldn’t replicate the issue. It is possible, just possible, that they did in fact find the source of the leak and fixed it. This is probably an over reaction, but when you pick it up and check the coolant level before starting it, have a look at the surface of the coolant in the reservoir to see it there is any evidence of any slightly metallic looking deposits floating on the top of the coolant fluid. If there is, this might indicate that a leak sealer has been added. I would think not, since you stated the leak was external, but……
If it were mine, I would then replicate your journey and obverse what happens. Irrespective, of the outcome, I would then be booking the car in to a trusted local independent and getting the coolant system tested - and reported on, if found to be at fault. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on  P.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Thank you, guys!

We have decided to return the car and the dealer accepted, so we already got full refund. My reasoning was to try to tackle the proble, myself or take it to mechanic, the dealer could refuse to honour the warranty, if it turned out be a more serious problem or there was bigger damage. This is not a risk I am willing to take. If the dealers mechanic cannot find the problem, and in my opinion obviously there is a problem, then we will be looking for another car. Too bad really, because we both loved it.

Pavel

• Like 1

Hello P,

Many thanks for updating the forum, and I understand the action you have taken, and it would seem that the dealer has been as accommodating as he can be with you.

Again, I can only speak as if it were mine, and I would repeat my earlier advice, based on giving it a further trial test. This advice is based on the fact that you liked the car, and being realistic, any secondhand car is likely to have some issue/s which will need resolving. 
Still you now have an outcome which suits you, and that’s important. 
It’s starting to look again now then P. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1