NOISE FROM FRONT LEFT WHEEL ABOVE 50MPH GEARBOX/WHEEL BEARING/DRIVE SHAFT/BRAKE DISC???

MMLG

I've got a funny noise coming from my front left wheel, my question is can it be gearbox related? As the car runs and drives absolutely fine with no noises what so ever upto 50mph then all of a sudden a thumping kicks in from the front left wheel asthough it's got a plastic bag wrapped around it but almost sounds like a metal on metal disc noise with the window open? Again it's only above 50mph? 

Hello Marlon,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum, and sorry to hear of your issue. 
I’m equally sorry, but in my view, I think it’s going to be very difficult/ impossible for anyone on here to isolate the cause of this noise - from the sensible variety of possibles you mention - without actually inspecting the car. I hope this doesn’t come over as being unhelpful.

If this were mine, I would be first taking it along to my trusted local tyre retailer and getting them to remove the offending wheel and thoroughly inspecting the tyre, since this could ( in caps) be the source of your problem, and you have to eliminate that possibility without delay, for obvious reasons. 
They should also be able to do a basic check on brake pads, ball joints, and shafts while the wheel is off. However, if they cannot find any problem with the tyre/s, then I would be booking this in to a trusted local garage to get a full assessment of the problem. 
The car is obviously trying to tell you something Marlon, so I would be treating this inspection with some urgency, for your and other’s safety. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Gonna have the tyre checked today and swap the front wheel for the back wheel to see if the noise moves with the wheel then I will update the thread

• Like 1

Many decades ago I had remould tyres fitted to the first vehicle I owned because I could not afford new tyres. Unfortunately a section of tread partially detached and at high speed it slapped the road surface with a sound much like the one Marlon describes, yet when stationary it retracted back to the carcass and was barely visible. Now I am not saying Marlon has the same problem as remould tyres are no longer sold, but it shows that minor or nearly invisible tyre faults can have dramatic effects.

• Like 1

Upon closer inspection there's uneven wear on the disc by about 5mm so the new pad someone's put in there before I purchased it is just slapping about at a higher speed sometimes it doesn't even do it but yeah I think new discs and pads on the front and it should clear the noise up I only bought the car 3 or 4 days ago 

Hello Marlon,

Thanks for coming back on this.

Did you get the tyres checked by a tyre retailer today, as you intended? 
Sorry, it could be me, but I’m not understanding what you mean about a brake disc slapping about and 5mm of uneven wear. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I think the pad was loose before someone fitted new ones, but the new pads don't sit correctly against the old worn disc.. And yes the 5mm is very strange and I'm not sure how it has become... however Noise only comes and goes so will get it sorted out when I can afford it... at least I know what it is now 

Edited by MMLG

Hello Marlon,

Thanks for coming back on this, and I hope this post will be seen as overall constructive rather than critical - and it could be me- but I’m still none the wiser about this (significant) 5mm in relation to your brakes, but it certainly sounds very concerning. 
The fact that you believe you now know what the source of the noise is, so you will get it sorted when you can afford it, to me, this would not be the way to safely go forward. Any known issues and abnormalities with brakes and some we-don’t-know -what 5mm would lead me to advise - don’t drive it until you get it professionally inspected and sorted. 
Sorry Marlon, but I feel the forum would be leaving itself open to criticism if it didn’t advice this action. 
Apologies, if this opinion is not shared with others, but I need to clear my conscious. 
Enjoy the festive break, and above all, stay safe. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.