Q4 E-Tron going into Park while manovering

Natalie

Anyone else having problems with their Audi Q4 E-Tron. So far I cant set myself up as a user - This problem is ongoing and not resolved!

Secondly it now violently decides to go into Park while driving. It is such a violent and abrupt stop, as you’d expect when a car decides to go into park whilst moving. It then turns the engine off and steering disengages. Currently with Audi but when I told them about the fault I think they thought I had it set to sensitive and was just stopping.  Poor guy nearly hit his head on the windscreen when he was pulling off and it emergency stopped on him, not once but twice.

I have lost all faith in my car and this is such a dangerous fault. I wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? And I don’t mean a sudden stop when you get too close to something.  Goes into Park and switches off whilst driving?

Edited by Natalie

Hello Natalie,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum, and sorry to hear of your issue. 
If I understand it, this boils down to being absolutely dangerous, and I can only equate it to driving on the motorway and suddenly applying the brakes and coming to an abrupt stop in the carriageway. Never driven one of these, but I’m led to believe that taking your foot off the power retards the motors and actual braking, as we know it, is nowhere near as necessary as it is with a conventional car, so the car stops quite quickly anyway.

Possible over reaction on my part, but I wouldn’t want this car back for a pension, since I would consider driving it could be life threatening. 
It would further concern me that the technical experience of fault finding and rectification with EVs is in its comparative infancy, and I would be scared that I would be acting as the test pilot for any work on this car. Having this car back would not be for me - no debate. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth and thanks for your reply. You can drive the car in ‘B’ mode which will allow it to brake for you when you take your foot off the accelerator. I normally drive the vehicle in ‘D’ which is similar to a normal drive in automatic. 

What the vehicle is doing thankfully only seem to happen at lower speeds, however I have no doubt it could have happened anywhere. The sheer violent jerk of it stopping was horrifying. 

Would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this. 

Thanks Natalie,

I understand that it would be of background information to know if anyone else has experienced this, but in reality it doesn’t matter, since this is affecting you, and your safety, and that’s all that is important. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Fortunately I’m not in your position Natalie, but I wouldn’t want it back for a pension, based on - would I want the constant worry and stress?? 
Of course, that just my opinion. Others may think differently. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 years later...

Late arrival to this symptom, but our new q4 appears to have a similar trait. It's maybe not as frequent as you describe, but it's certainly an irritating driver aid. 

Hello George,

Sory to hear of your similar serious issue. We are unsure of the eventual outcome of this, since Natalie hasn’t returned to the forum since her last post. 
It might well be worth sending her a PM, in the hope she is still using the same e-mail address. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. A personal view, without detailed knowledge of the symptoms:- This has more of a direct influence on the safety of you and your passengers - beyond being an ‘irritating driver aid’. 
Have you booked it in to a dealership for investigation?