Airbag fault code help B10051A

scriptedpixels

This airbag light has randomly started appearing for me. Nothing has been carried out on the car recently in terms of repairs or accidents

I’ve used a Ancel VD500 to read the code but I can’t find anything to help resolve the problem

can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this. I’m trying to time how long it takes the light to come back on after clearing the code.

“B10051A - Driver head curtain airbag igniter Resistance too low”

Thanks

E13E5BB6-F381-4605-BEFC-56ECD00154DE.jpeg

Edited by scriptedpixels

39 minutes ago, scriptedpixels said:

This airbag light has randomly started appearing for me. Nothing has been carried out on the car recently in terms of repairs or accidents

I’ve used a Ancel VD500 to read the code but I can’t find anything to help resolve the problem

can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this. I’m trying to time how long it takes the light to come back on after clearing the code.

“B10051A - Driver head curtain airbag igniter Resistance too low”

Thanks

E13E5BB6-F381-4605-BEFC-56ECD00154DE.jpeg

Hi this is a new one it normally says too low, either way its a connector problem to that system, before you go pulling it about allow the car to stand for a while so the airbag module discharges you will have to pull the rubber weather strips down to gain access  I believe the connector is at the top of the windscreen piller trim which you may also have to pull out, plastic trim remover kit is a must as well as no electronic watches or nylon clothing as static can induce the bag firing mechanism to deploy [Major BILL] there are a couple of tutorials on youtube on how to release the connectors, having removed the connector liberally hose down both the connector and the reciprocating port with a good quality electrical cleaner or a home made spray filled with 99% solution of isopropyl alcohol and hold a cloth underneath what you are spraying so it won't drip on the trim below, airbag systems work on an infinitesimally small current between 6-9 OHMS so it won't take a lot to upset it, I think your problem may well be slight corrosion rather than dirt which drives the resistance up.

Steve

5 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi this is a new one it normally says too low, either way its a connector problem to that system, before you go pulling it about allow the car to stand for a while so the airbag module discharges you will have to pull the rubber weather strips down to gain access  I believe the connector is at the top of the windscreen piller trim which you may also have to pull out, plastic trim remover kit is a must as well as no electronic watches or nylon clothing as static can induce the bag firing mechanism to deploy [Major BILL] there are a couple of tutorials on youtube on how to release the connectors, having removed the connector liberally hose down both the connector and the reciprocating port with a good quality electrical cleaner or a home made spray filled with 99% solution of isopropyl alcohol and hold a cloth underneath what you are spraying so it won't drip on the trim below, airbag systems work on an infinitesimally small current between 6-9 OHMS so it won't take a lot to upset it, I think your problem may well be slight corrosion rather than dirt which drives the resistance up.

Steve

Thanks for the fast reply Steve,

Do you have any links you could send to me for YouTube videos on where I can start with this. I'll have a crack at this with my Dad, who's a mechanic, when we get a chance. 

The timing of this couldn't be any worse as I'm looking to trade my car in!

I wonder what Audi would charge to fix this? They were charging £160 just for an investigation, so I said I'll get the codes etc before I even consider paying £160 for plugging the car in to read some codes.

18 minutes ago, scriptedpixels said:

Thanks for the fast reply Steve,

Do you have any links you could send to me for YouTube videos on where I can start with this. I'll have a crack at this with my Dad, who's a mechanic, when we get a chance. 

The timing of this couldn't be any worse as I'm looking to trade my car in!

I wonder what Audi would charge to fix this? They were charging £160 just for an investigation, so I said I'll get the codes etc before I even consider paying £160 for plugging the car in to read some codes.

Hi if you plumb in your year and model it won't come up with the exact same model but there are a couple of vids on how to on VWs that use the same system the connectors are a plunge lock clip which is easy enough, other than that find a local man in a van that will fix it by bridging the circuit with a diode which shuts it up until you have got rid, its not something I would recommend if you were keeping the car, as for Audi fixing it their potential for charging for this job is breathtaking, they probably would tell you they need to replace the bag unit. I am certain daddyo is well capable of doing this one.

Steve.