A5 B9 Oil Level Dipstick

jdragon

1 hour ago, jdragon said:

I realise the level can be checked in the MMI but has anyone fitted a physical dipstick to the B9? If so, which part did you use?

Hi this one has been bashed to death, the only people who have the dipsticks are the Americans and they charge a fortune for the dipsticks and shipping not forgetting the possible customs charges thats why I gave up with my one and bought a new level sensor when the old one went wrong, they are easy to change and about a third of the price of a metal rod with a yellow ring on the end of it, as for the level sensor that misbehaves if you open and close the bonnet too many times as there is a sensor on the bonnet mechanism that tells it to only display the last reading which is the one when you switch off so it shows low anyway.

Steve.

Yeah, I've seen the one from states, but as you say it's over-priced even without shipping and potential customs.

My only desire for this is to see the oil condition, but I suppose that can wait until the end of year when I do the interim oil change at around 9k miles.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jdragon said:

Yeah, I've seen the one from states, but as you say it's over-priced even without shipping and potential customs.

My only desire for this is to see the oil condition, but I suppose that can wait until the end of year when I do the interim oil change at around 9k miles.

Hi if you dipped the oil after a change and a small run it will be black as diesel produces far greater carbon inside the engine than petrol engines in which the oil can still be fairly clear after a couple of thousand miles.

Steve.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi if you dipped the oil after a change and a small run it will be black as diesel produces far greater carbon inside the engine than petrol engines in which the oil can still be fairly clear after a couple of thousand miles.

Steve.

Indeed, it does turn black quickly.

I've never let an oil change go past 10k, so you become familiar with how it looks/smalls at that point.

Maybe I just need to move on with the times 😄