DSG issues, Mechatronic sleeves missing

Boba Fett

Hi Guys,

Relatively knew to the world of Audi and forums, so apologies if I post this in the wrong place or its already covered.

Bought a 2005 A4 3.0 TDi Quattro Automatic just under a year ago. Knew it had a gearbox issue, but could see the gearbox cooler pipe was leaking at the radiator and it was the wrong type of fluid. So thought I'd take a punt.

Fixed the leak, flushed out the old dirty oil and refilled with the proper ZF ATF and new filter, no joy.

Went down the route of the Ross Tech VCDS. Derek from Ilexa where I bought it was great with help and advise.

Long story short - VCDS could communicate with the TCM to a point and according to Derek, the 1st clutch did seem to be engaging. Unfortunately as the TCM's firmware was the older version, VCDS couldn't read any further.

I don't have any fault codes for the Transmission. ESP light stays on, but thought that's more to do with steering wheel angle sensor and engine mount solenoid faults.

I thought I'd have one last go and decided to take the mechatronics unit out for a look. I know there's a lot inside these units you can't see, but the outside looks fine and the solenoids all seem ok.

The main reason I'm posting this is the 4 sleeves seem to be missing. I know its possible they would fall out when I dropped down the mechatronic unit, but I've looked everywhere.

So I've ordered up new ones, plus the bridge seal(which looks fine), but the holes where they should go don't look like they'd accept them, see pic.

I'll obviously let people on the forum know if this turned out to be the problem, but just wondered if someone out there with a bit of knowledge of the ZF 6HP-19 gearbox could tell if it looks normal, can't see how I'd get the new sleeves to sit in place.

Also the other pathways that connect the mechatronic unit to the gearbox just look like they're metal to metal, no gasket or sealing sleeves, is that normal?

Any advice much appreciated.

IMG_2782.jpg