Valuation of my 2000 A4 1.8 SE

Hi. I've just been told by my insurance company that my car is being written off thanks to someone hitting the offside corner and damaging it. They have offered me some money for it but I can't compare it to anything on the market (I can't find anything) and Parkers website doesn't go back that far. The engine has a genuine 45,000 miles approx on it and was in good nick beforehand.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone wants to make an offer (no silly ones please!) I'd be up for listening. Can send photos

Thanks

Hello Danny,

Thanks for being in touch.

You say ‘the engine has genuine 45,000 miles (approx.) on it’, so does that mean that the car has had a different engine fitted into it at some time, or that the car is a genuine - history know - 45,000 mile from new vehicle? 
It would also be helpful to know what the offer is. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. It can assure you it is the original engine. The guy who owned it before serviced it every year and only used it sporadically. He bought it from new. It was sold to my neighbour and they have owned it since. It's an Auto and drove beautifully before the accident. I'm unsure how much documentation there is but there will be some. I have attached a picture of the damage. The Insurance company offered £1500 for the car.

Thanks

Audi damage.jpeg

Thanks Danny.

Apologies, but the way you wrote the post suggested my assumption - so you now make it clear that it’s a genuine verified 45,000 from new car. 
The facts are still unclear since you say ‘my insurance ……..’ yet you go on to say ‘ …sold to my neighbour and they have owned it since….’. 
Confusing! If it is indeed now registered to you, how long have you owned it? 
If it’s your car and not your neighbours - you are unsure how much documentation there is with the car! Such documentation will necessary to counter any low offer made, and you must present it as evidence, otherwise their offer may well still stand. 
Since the car is so good, would you be interested in buying the salvage and getting the car repaired with secondhand parts? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yeah, reading back, I realise how confusing I made that! Sorry!

It's my neighbours car but I borrow and use it when it's available. (So it kind of feels like mine!)  It's registered in their name as the second owners. It was purchased through a mutual friend of ours who's father owned it until he was too old to continue driving.

I don't think they have time in their busy lives to get it repaired but I want to make sure they're getting a fair price from the insurance company. It would be a shame to let it go though.

Thanks for the advice re: documentation. I'll pass it onto them.

Thanks

Hello Danny,

Thanks. This is like pulling sore teeth!
Were you driving the car when it was damaged? If not - let’s be honest it isn’t really your concern. 
‘ I don’t think they have time in their busy lives to get it repaired…’ 

Since it’s their car and their? insurance, are they overly concerned what the payout really is?? Are they too busy to set up a file of evidence to support their dissatisfaction?

Apologies if I’ve got this all wrong Danny, if it is your car-owner neighbours who are discontent then my advice stands - get them to organise all their supporting evidence to prove the car is worth more. 
Salvage buy - back? Although mentioned, I believe many insurers are no longer allowing this to happen, and simply put the vehicles through salvage auctions. So if there is a sentimental attachment to it then you might have to chase it through auction.

Your offer to sell it to reasonable bids on here may not be possible, but you could get your neighbours to check with their insurers. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Confused 1

No problem Danny. 
Sometimes you can get involved in other people’s issues and spend a lot of time with it - which of course is fine.

On a progressive note:- If it were mine, I would be accepting the payout ( simply to minimise inconvenience all round) and arranging to keep the salvage - by whatever means. You could then busy yourself with locating the necessary secondhand parts and sourcing a local repair/sprayer to carry out the work. By this means, your neighbour should end up with their car repaired, and a little money in hand - a reasonable outcome. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.