Suspension refresh upgrade

Sarah 2013 tt

Hi I've recently purchased a 2013 tt Quattro amplified edition I love the car overall the only thing I'm not happy with is the suspension the ride is way to crashy and jolty over every little bump or crease in the tarmac I've had it up on the ramps and inspected expecting to find a broken spring or leaky shock to my surprise no the springs don't look Oem I have been advised an rear of side shock will need to be replaced in the future so I'm hoping some one has had a similar situation.

Is the ride comfortable on oem spring and shocks or should I be looking at coilovers ideally I'm after a pleasant complient suspension set up not harsh or crashy/jolty I have forgot to mention the car is on 19inch rims with a 255/35/zr19 I know the bigger the alloy and lower profile tyre the worse the ride becomes fully aware of this but still the current set up not acceptable please any advice welcome many thanks 

After some research bilstein seems the damper to go for I was thinking b4 for a nice comfy ride quality but I've been advised the car came from factory with sports suspension as far I understand it basically sline coil springs which basically make the ride quality harsh and crashy.

Does any one know of the options for replacement for a nice ride quality to enjoy the car?

I looked on gsf for coil springs they have lesjofors I have read the reviews an they say they are a firmer ride quality than oem this concerns me if they meet firmer than sline as all I have read about them is too jolty on spirited B road jollys.

Hello Sarah,

I believe you seen suffering from a combination of S Line sports suspension and the ‘big wheels syndrome’ ,and maybe more.

Although this combination has a visual appeal to many owners and potential owners, the trade off is the resultant hard ride - particularly where larger wheels are used. As I’ve said before, ‘visual appeal’ is fine - from the outside!  - which the driver cannot see when driving - but it’s the driver’s comfort which is compromised. 
35 profile tyres equates more to solid tyres - or as we say in Wales, gambo tyres, so whatever you do with shock absorbers, you still have skinny tyres on large wheels, so how much better?? 
As an important additional contributor - do you have XL ( extra load) tyres fitted? If so, the additional side wall reinforcement will simply aggravate the harsh ride on skinny profile tyres. 
Perhaps you could le us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

15 hours ago, Sarah 2013 tt said:

After some research bilstein seems the damper to go for I was thinking b4 for a nice comfy ride quality but I've been advised the car came from factory with sports suspension as far I understand it basically sline coil springs which basically make the ride quality harsh and crashy.

Does any one know of the options for replacement for a nice ride quality to enjoy the car?

I looked on gsf for coil springs they have lesjofors I have read the reviews an they say they are a firmer ride quality than oem this concerns me if they meet firmer than sline as all I have read about them is too jolty on spirited B road jollys.

Hi Sarah 2013 tt,

Congrats on your new car. I recently purchased an A3 S-line and I find the ride also very harsh and its getting on a bit now so definitely need an upgrade. After doing some research I also have decided on getting Bilstein B4's as they seem to be the best after reading reviews from other Audi owners. The upgraded springs that match the S-line models as they are lowered the same (30mm) are Eibach springs as the ride is much better. I will also be adding a powerflex rear anti-roll bar which firms up the rear slightly but reduces understeer. I imagine a TT sits nicer on the road anyway than the A3. 

Let us know what you decide to go for!
Cheers,
Denver

Hello gareth

the tyres are extra load yes I know what your saying about the low profile tyres and big rims I had similar problem years ago on a E46 M3 19s for show 18s for go😂

I was hoping suspension technology had moved on from then that was some years ago now,I'm going to percaver with refreshing suspension as I think the shocks haven't been swapped out since new so fingers crossed ride quality will be some what better.

Hey Denver 

thank you on the car

is it the eibach pro spring you have gone for I did read good things about them as in comfort at low speeds and then when pushing on they firm up in the corners sounds ideal really.

Did you say you have them fitted or in the process curious to see what they ride like I had eibach springs on a car years ago and to be honest they weren't that comfortable like I say that was years ago an hopefully they are more refined at low speeds now.

i have seen another option on gsf lesjofors apparently sline equivalent I'm wondering if anyone has opted for these?

mine doesn't need the rear anti roll bar that's one of the positives about the car no body roll at all to be honest you can throw it in to any corner and Quattro system just pulls you threw its great fun on a smooth bit of tarmac.

Hey Sarah,

Not fitted them yet so cant comment but appreciate your feedback maybe I now need to rethink.
I'm definitely sticking with B4's though :wine:

Hello Sarah,

Many thanks,

I too would be interested in the outcome, since my (pessimistic?) view points me to consider that the ultimate main influence is the amount of rubber between you and the road which can damp the effects of uneven surface - and you have shinny profile, reinforced sidewall tyres. 
I really hope your expenditure is going to match your expectations. 
It will be great to hear that it does,

Kind regards,

Gareth.