New to Audi so my first load of questions

Swisstony

15 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

Hu units, swapping to aftermarket devices requires a fitting kit which will inc the frame and surround, also a suitable adapter loom , most double DIN  oem B7 hu's have the quad lock setup so the fitting loom will get your ISO sony wiring into the Audi quadlock inteface.

depending on what audio spec was fitted at the factory the previous owner may not have fitted DAB ariel into the correct plug as there are two fakra plugs on some units , also the Ariel adapter needs power which many over look.

That is all beyond me in terms of expertise. You on the other hand seem very knowledgable ! my guess is the previous owner removed the factory unit ( I can see the handbook for it ) and just plonked in the Sony unit to get Bluetooth connectivity and the Apple Car play functions. That unit also came with a reversing camera which funniliy enough is sitting in the boot and coiled up so never used 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

those alloys may infact be spaced aswell, suspenion ride height looks a bit high but possibly still on oem kit or similar spec , maybe the tyres making it look a bit too chunky though.

11 hours ago, Just Rob said:

I forgot to say, on the rear seat questions.

The bench is only held down by two push in fixings , one on each side sort of central behind the front seat back, the plastic retainer part that fits into the floor can split and break or just fall out, the metal loop of the base of the bench just lifts up and down loosely.

If yours are flopping up and down the the plastic retainer is broken/missing or possibly the bench is not quite in the correct position .

the rear of the bench just pushes under the base of the backrest.

just lift up the front of the bench and have a look, all will become clearer straight away.

part number 5 , plastic/rubber grommit ,it fits into floor section, that is all that holds the bench in place on the front and stops it flapping around.

image.thumb.png.04acdf0780f4df8c406b7111de5dbb30.png

I think I found the correct ones ? 

resr seat clips.jpeg

1 hour ago, Swisstony said:

That is all beyond me in terms of expertise. You on the other hand seem very knowledgable ! my guess is the previous owner removed the factory unit ( I can see the handbook for it ) and just plonked in the Sony unit to get Bluetooth connectivity and the Apple Car play functions. That unit also came with a reversing camera which funniliy enough is sitting in the boot and coiled up so never used 🙂 

As much as everyone loves the oem units and they look well, oem , they are outdated now in terms of tech and connectivity.

Good aftermarket devices are soo much better and if installed and setup are by far the way ahead in an older car.

I'm not IC expert in fact i hate messing around with it but they are not that complicated with only a few wires to connect to be honest, most instructions are very clear and few owners that do it DIY have issues, that said B7's do have some specific wiring , but its pretty straight forward.

I think these are RS wheels which with the wide body on that model may suit it but on mine it looks all wrong and the offset is terrible. In the week of owning it I have seen the rubbing on ther arches and picked all the melted rubber off !

I have found some lovely Le Mans genuine Audi 18.

8J X 18 ET 43 18/235/35 in anthracite which should be perfect without any spacers.

wheels 1.jpeg

ideally you want 235/40 18 tyres but 35 is not too much lower, you may find the wheel arch gap looks much bigger thou.

4 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

ideally you want 235/40 18 tyres but 35 is not too much lower, you may find the wheel arch gap looks much bigger thou.

My bad they are 40 and not 35 so happy days 

9 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

I don't get as much steering wheel control with my FBSW but not really fussed as pretty well everything is voice controlled.

IMG_4334.JPG

Now there is a man who is a fan of Carbon fibre 🙂

Little update on my ICE. Just popped up to a company local to me and discovered the reason behind the tuner and DAB issue. Turns out the tuner has a poor reception because the window tint on the rear screen is blocking the aeriel ...doh! So as the alternative is a shark fin on the roof I will just live with the poor reception

The DAB now works as it needed was a factory reset and all good. 

At the same time we discovered that the reversing camera works but needs installing so booked in for that install. A nice bonus as it was just sitting in the boot coiled up. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Just Rob said:

I would also imagine that the previous owner that spent on those parts, and that ECS induction kit is not cheap by itself , may well have uprated the suspension too, if he didnt then he had his priorities  around the wrong way.

check under the arches to see what fitted.

may have even fitted an uprated Rear ARB if you are really lucky, rs4 ARB is a good option.

Sadly after initial investigation, it looks like the previous owner didnt do anything with the suspension which is a shame . Looks entirely standard to me. 

So as the wheels were off I couldnt resist cleaning 🙂 no before shots at this time 

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

5 hours ago, Swisstony said:

Now there is a man who is a fan of Carbon fibre 🙂

Little update on my ICE. Just popped up to a company local to me and discovered the reason behind the tuner and DAB issue. Turns out the tuner has a poor reception because the window tint on the rear screen is blocking the aeriel ...doh! So as the alternative is a shark fin on the roof I will just live with the poor reception

The DAB now works as it needed was a factory reset and all good. 

At the same time we discovered that the reversing camera works but needs installing so booked in for that install. A nice bonus as it was just sitting in the boot coiled up. 

I've heard quite a few reports form owners that they were getting poor reception due to the rear window tint, never had an issue myself as I fitted a slimline one on the top edge of the windscreen, works a treat.

good news that its all working now along with camera, the fun starts now getting the camera into the boot lid through the cable trunking...

2 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

good news that its all working now along with camera, the fun starts now getting the camera into the boot lid through the cable trunking...

Well they will be doing that so they can struggle 🙂

1 minute ago, Just Rob said:

I've not seen many non S4's with quad tips , i converted mine to quads just because they filled out the rear end nicely.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b435336b4320a54356b55b14e26c31d.jpeg

That looks lovely mate , very tidy 

and after 

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

those discs look like mtec items, worth measuring diameter aswell as they look more like S4 345mm discs and S4 carriers  than the oem320mm items, maybe just an illusion though.

Sadly after initial investigation, it looks like the previous owner didnt do anything with the suspension which is a shame . Looks entirely standard to me. 

So as the wheels were off I couldnt resist cleaning 🙂 no before shots at this time 

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

S-line setup on these cars is pretty rubbish frankly, rear springs are always snapping, dampers leak and its just a poor ride.

Aftermarket options make such a big difference to ride and handling and ride height which is always been a bit odd on these variants.

10 hours ago, Swisstony said:

I think these are RS wheels which with the wide body on that model may suit it but on mine it looks all wrong and the offset is terrible. In the week of owning it I have seen the rubbing on ther arches and picked all the melted rubber off !

I have found some lovely Le Mans genuine Audi 18.

8J X 18 ET 43 18/235/35 in anthracite which should be perfect without any spacers.

wheels 1.jpeg

The Lemans style alloys were a factory fitment on the mk2 special edition as part of the black optics finish.

my old bus is a mk1 so had the ronal spoke rims as would have yours.

11 hours ago, Swisstony said:

Yes indeed. Please ignore the wrong wheels, overtyre look and the dodgy "fast and furious" styling by the previous owner. He was from Essex after all 🙂 

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

Just had a closer look at the front end pics, my mistake, the front grille is an aftermarket item not OEM RS4 grille.

I missed the mesh pattern and lettering on the bottom at first glance .

If you are new to older audi's then you should be aware of engine oil consumption that effects some platforms and variants.

The B7 tfsi's are not to bad but some can drink oil.

Audi themselves quote a consumption of upto 0.5ltr per 620miles if driven spritely, and that is pretty accurate as well , if its a modified engine then expect to be checking and filling more often.

Most owners of 2.0tfsi etc check oil level weekly , don't wait for the low oil light to illuminate, by then its nearly allways to late.

Also check the HPFP cam follower for wear, BUL engines have a revised cam lobe etc so not the chocolate version found in other engine codes but does still wear.

If you have no confirmed proof its been done then assume it hasn't and replace it, its silly cheap as well, easy to swap in less than an hour.

10 hours ago, Just Rob said:

If you are new to older audi's then you should be aware of engine oil consumption that effects some platforms and variants.

The B7 tfsi's are not to bad but some can drink oil.

Audi themselves quote a consumption of upto 0.5ltr per 620miles if driven spritely, and that is pretty accurate as well , if its a modified engine then expect to be checking and filling more often.

Most owners of 2.0tfsi etc check oil level weekly , don't wait for the low oil light to illuminate, by then its nearly allways to late.

When I was researching the car I was looking at, I spent a long time reading into the common issues and preventative maintenance so when I went to buy the car I had a list of things I needed to check. Oil level was one of them and I have heard they can be heavy on oil so this will be a regular check for me. 

10 hours ago, Just Rob said:

Also check the HPFP cam follower for wear, BUL engines have a revised cam lobe etc so not the chocolate version found in other engine codes but does still wear.

If you have no confirmed proof its been done then assume it hasn't and replace it, its silly cheap as well, easy to swap in less than an hour.

Again this was on my list to see if the cam follower had been changed. As I cant see any evidence in the paperwork I will assume not so I will be doing this myself very shortly. 

The other things I had on my list were 

Divertors valves - renewed Revison D. I cant see any paperwork so will see if they have been replaced

Tensioner- rattle at idle. I cant hear anything so looks all good. 

My next service is due in 4000 miles so I am just finding a good Audi garage near me who could give the car its next service. 

DV , if your going to replace it don't rush into getting the new version , its not needed, the earlier diaphragm ones are better, may only last 50k ish miles but a better device.

29 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

DV , if your going to replace it don't rush into getting the new version , its not needed, the earlier diaphragm ones are better, may only last 50k ish miles but a better device.

Ok thanks for that