New to Audi so my first load of questions

Swisstony

Audi A4 B7 2.0T S Line special edition 2006

As always there are a few niggles that I would like to sort and maybe you lot can help.
As I am new to Audi many of these will be ' face palm' questions to you seasoned group so please excuse me for that. 

1 ICE. It has a lovely Sony head unit in it ( double din) with all singing and dancing touch screen, Apple car play etc but even though I can see a DAB aeriel on the windscreen the DAB function just sits there saying Receiving and no signal. same for Tuner, shocking reception as if there is no aeriel. I assume I need to give you the model number to investigate however I have no manual and there is nothing in the menu that states what model it is nor on the surround. but just wondered if this is a fitting issue ( as in nothing conencted ) or a common problem. I guess I may need to take it to a car audio place to see if they can sort it

2. Performance and questionable upgrades. Advert said 300BHP which made me chuckle as although I can see some evidence of fettling , there is no paperwork that shows this work . I also know that these engines/turbo are at best on 220/230 so although it says Stage 2 Remap and I can see ECS Tuning all over it ( lovely yellow hoses) and what looks like an uprated intercooler, I was wondering what to look out for to see what upgrades have been done. Obviously sticking it on a dyno would give a true readout. 

3. Rear seats conversion to split folding. Now this is a biggie as I know this may be impossible wo whilst I can get split folding rear seats , it is the fitting that will be tricky as I assume it is a solid bulkhead behind the grey boot carpet and then find some way of adding in the top bars to support the rear seats. My question is this something that anyone has ever considered or attempted ? 

4. Talking about the rear seats, as it stands now the actual bench just seems to sit there and is loose. Surely as something as well built like these cars are, it cant just be plonked on the top, no fittings etc ?

5. Retro fitting cruise control. I saw the really helpful sticky in the How to section. I know that I would need to get it recoded, question does anyone have recommendations for this work in the Bucks/Herts/Oxford area ?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like an aftermarket head unit. As such it might need an auto electrican or radio company to take a look. 

Definitely would recommend a rolling road run to see. But stage 2 should have upgraded induction kit/panel filter, straight through exhaust, remap. Could be an upgraded intercooler from the sounds of it, any pics? 

Should definitely not be loose and rear bench just clips in I believe. 

Speak to autologics as various members have used them for retrofits and been happy with results. 

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

It sounds like an aftermarket head unit. As such it might need an auto electrican or radio company to take a look. 

Definitely would recommend a rolling road run to see. But stage 2 should have upgraded induction kit/panel filter, straight through exhaust, remap. Could be an upgraded intercooler from the sounds of it, any pics? 

Thought as much. As its sony I will see if i have any tools to pull it out to have a look at the back 

It has an ECS induction kit with all the pipework, what looks like some ECS heat shield covering the turbo and then yellow pipework/hoses to the intercooler. Its tricky to see or read as it is tucked behind the honeycomb grill but I will see if I can take a photo or read the logo as it seems to be sprayed on the fins in yellow like you get with a impreza sti intercooler. Exhaust is straight through to a quad exhasut at the back and apparently Stage 2 remap 

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

Should definitely not be loose and rear bench just clips in I believe. 

Speak to autologics as various members have used them for retrofits and been happy with results. 

Ok will take it up to investigate and thanks for the heads up on Autologics

Ok after some investigation in the engine bay it seems I have an Airtec Intercooler upgrade for the B7

https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/product/airtec-motorsport-front-mount-intercooler-for-audi-a4-b7/

As it looks similar to the hose colour and logo sprayed on the fins

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0714.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

13 hours ago, Swisstony said:

Audi A4 B7 2.0T S Line special edition 2006

As always there are a few niggles that I would like to sort and maybe you lot can help.
As I am new to Audi many of these will be ' face palm' questions to you seasoned group so please excuse me for that. 

1 ICE. It has a lovely Sony head unit in it ( double din) with all singing and dancing touch screen, Apple car play etc but even though I can see a DAB aeriel on the windscreen the DAB function just sits there saying Receiving and no signal. same for Tuner, shocking reception as if there is no aeriel. I assume I need to give you the model number to investigate however I have no manual and there is nothing in the menu that states what model it is nor on the surround. but just wondered if this is a fitting issue ( as in nothing conencted ) or a common problem. I guess I may need to take it to a car audio place to see if they can sort it

2. Performance and questionable upgrades. Advert said 300BHP which made me chuckle as although I can see some evidence of fettling , there is no paperwork that shows this work . I also know that these engines/turbo are at best on 220/230 so although it says Stage 2 Remap and I can see ECS Tuning all over it ( lovely yellow hoses) and what looks like an uprated intercooler, I was wondering what to look out for to see what upgrades have been done. Obviously sticking it on a dyno would give a true readout. 

3. Rear seats conversion to split folding. Now this is a biggie as I know this may be impossible wo whilst I can get split folding rear seats , it is the fitting that will be tricky as I assume it is a solid bulkhead behind the grey boot carpet and then find some way of adding in the top bars to support the rear seats. My question is this something that anyone has ever considered or attempted ? 

4. Talking about the rear seats, as it stands now the actual bench just seems to sit there and is loose. Surely as something as well built like these cars are, it cant just be plonked on the top, no fittings etc ?

5. Retro fitting cruise control. I saw the really helpful sticky in the How to section. I know that I would need to get it recoded, question does anyone have recommendations for this work in the Bucks/Herts/Oxford area ?

Thanks in advance

Hi 

I'm new to this forum but have owned for the last 8 years the same variant, I'm no expert but have become very close friends with it so know all to well about the ups an downs of living and owning one.

With regards to the HU, you need to pull it out of the centre console and check what wiring is there and fitted , it is possible that a wire has become detached or similar.

It will also indicate what fitting kit has been used to connect the sony HU to the OE loom.

Coding is not required with aftermarket HU's as they are not recognised.

Reception can vary a bit but again depends on wether or not the HU has been wired up properly and if you have Full or part ampified Bose system.

300 is very doable on a stage 2 depending on whats be done.

normally it will be a remap, FMIC , HFC and performance exhaust but some get similar gains with less.

without any documentation output will unknown without  a session on a dyno.

Factory it was 220 for the BUL code engine , and its a specific ECU map the BUL engine, the same engine and map as used on the DTM.

rear seat conversions are doable but depends on what spec interior you have as some have rear side air bags etc , either way its doable if you source the correct parts, which is normally the hardest part.

depending on varaint and spec, some with have folding backrest and some wont.

If you know your option codes then i can clarify what options are fitted to your car.

CC is also a good retro fit and very much a DIY mod but you need to know a bit about what you have fitted at the moment so as to get the correct parts and it need coding in , so unless you have access to vcds or similar then get it done properly.

hope thats hepled a bit , you have choosen a great car.

Edited by Just Rob

I would also imagine that the previous owner that spent on those parts, and that ECS induction kit is not cheap by itself , may well have uprated the suspension too, if he didnt then he had his priorities  around the wrong way.

check under the arches to see what fitted.

may have even fitted an uprated Rear ARB if you are really lucky, rs4 ARB is a good option.

on the performance side of things, if one has driven a standard mapped BUL powered B7 for a period of time then driven an uprated one, if it been upped a fair bit it's noticeable to be honest, as it is new to you thats not really an option so dyno will be the best route.

Edited by Just Rob

I forgot to say, on the rear seat questions.

The bench is only held down by two push in fixings , one on each side sort of central behind the front seat back, the plastic retainer part that fits into the floor can split and break or just fall out, the metal loop of the base of the bench just lifts up and down loosely.

If yours are flopping up and down the the plastic retainer is broken/missing or possibly the bench is not quite in the correct position .

the rear of the bench just pushes under the base of the backrest.

just lift up the front of the bench and have a look, all will become clearer straight away.

part number 5 , plastic/rubber grommit ,it fits into floor section, that is all that holds the bench in place on the front and stops it flapping around.

image.thumb.png.04acdf0780f4df8c406b7111de5dbb30.png

Edited by Just Rob

7 hours ago, Swisstony said:

Now the ECS, well hiding under the carbon cover is the ECS induction kit 

but not sure what is hiding under this shield over the turbo ?

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

thats an ECS carbon induction intake kit, just an uprated air filter box that covers a larger area, performance gains are questionable on the B7 platform but it does look much better that the OEM layout.

As you may find out along the way during ownership , there are a lot of options, and i do mean a lot, for the B7 variants and a lot are interchangeable from model to model.

you will very rarely find two with the same spec and more often than not some special editions have very few options given there original cost, which is annoying but hey thats audi for you.

Full electric mem seat are great along with folding mirrors and adaptive xenons.

Edited by Just Rob

It most likely fitted with a sports cat or similar HFC  , maybe just a straight decat pipe connected to that straight through system, eitherway can be a challenge at MOT time with emmisions, a look under the ECS cover will confirm which.

quad tips indicates an S4 rear valance or similar aftermarket valance.

special edition had 320mm drilled front disks from factory but its common for owners to uprate to larger s4 disks and caliper carriers, brembo 18z kits are popular too, so check your brakes.

Suspension is not brilliant and another area that gets uprated to something vastly improved .

Edited by Just Rob

10 hours ago, Just Rob said:

Hi 

I'm new to this forum but have owned for the last 8 years the same variant, I'm no expert but have become very close friends with it so know all to well about the ups an downs of living and owning one.

Hi Rob

Firstly thank you for all the replies, amazed at the level of detail you have gone into so thanks. Guess your years of ownership has given you a great insight. I shall try to reply to them all in sequence. 

With regards to the HU, you need to pull it out of the centre console and check what wiring is there and fitted , it is possible that a wire has become detached or similar.

It will also indicate what fitting kit has been used to connect the sony HU to the OE loom.

Coding is not required with aftermarket HU's as they are not recognised.

Reception can vary a bit but again depends on wether or not the HU has been wired up properly and if you have Full or part ampified Bose system.

I did remove it, turns out it is a Sony XAV-AX3005DB unit. At first glance all the leads and cables looked plugged in. I could see the some form of kit that attaches to the loom but to my untrained eye everything is connected so a mystery on the DAB and I get some reception on the aeriel so assume a poor reception. At least I know what model it is but yes a proper audio centre may be able to help as I do like to have some form of radio/tuner in the car on long journeys.

300 is very doable on a stage 2 depending on whats be done.

normally it will be a remap, FMIC , HFC and performance exhaust but some get similar gains with less.

without any documentation output will unknown without  a session on a dyno.

Factory it was 220 for the BUL code engine , and its a specific ECU map the BUL engine, the same engine and map as used on the DTM.

The advert said 300+ but I have taken that with a pinch of salt. I can see the FMIC, I know it has a performance exhaust and a remap ( no documents) ECS induction -see photo) so I guess a rolling road will be the ultimate test. I come from the world of Subaru Impreza ownership so am familiar with the path to BHP upgrades via turbo with supporting mods so the theory is similar but the audi world is new to me so enjoying unravelling stuff as I dig deeper. 

rear seat conversions are doable but depends on what spec interior you have as some have rear side air bags etc , either way its doable if you source the correct parts, which is normally the hardest part.

depending on varaint and spec, some with have folding backrest and some wont.

If you know your option codes then i can clarify what options are fitted to your car.

I will attempt to get the option codes. Some previos owner decided audio was more important than a space saver so the entire wheel well is covered in dynomat !! which of course covers the area where the options sticker is meant to be ..grr. I will see if I can peel back the dynomat and if the sticker is intact. 

Re the seats. Mine is the solid bulkhead as it stands now with the fold down centre armrest. 

I have sourced the split rear folding seats already from soneone I know. Apart from the fitting I think the main challenge will be the way the backs lock into the sides of the C pillars as normally there would be bars ? 

CC is also a good retro fit and very much a DIY mod but you need to know a bit about what you have fitted at the moment so as to get the correct parts and it need coding in , so unless you have access to vcds or similar then get it done properly.

hope thats hepled a bit , you have choosen a great car.

Thank you 

I have looked at various companies that do retro fits on the CC but some are charging £300+VAT so for now its a luxury that can wait. Maybe later down the line I can source the parts and get someone to recode it.

IMG_0623.jpeg

I would also imagine that the previous owner that spent on those parts, and that ECS induction kit is not cheap by itself , may well have uprated the suspension too, if he didnt then he had his priorities  around the wrong way.

check under the arches to see what fitted.

may have even fitted an uprated Rear ARB if you are really lucky, rs4 ARB is a good option.

I am changing my wheels next week ( as the current ones are wrong and at 19" just rub ) so when I do I will investigate the suspension to see if anything is uprated. and also check out the ARB situation.

on the performance side of things, if one has driven a standard mapped BUL powered B7 for a period of time then driven an uprated one, if it been upped a fair bit it's noticeable to be honest, as it is new to you thats not really an option so dyno will be the best route.

I forgot to say, on the rear seat questions.

The bench is only held down by two push in fixings , one on each side sort of central behind the front seat back, the plastic retainer part that fits into the floor can split and break or just fall out, the metal loop of the base of the bench just lifts up and down loosely.

If yours are flopping up and down the the plastic retainer is broken/missing or possibly the bench is not quite in the correct position .

the rear of the bench just pushes under the base of the backrest.

just lift up the front of the bench and have a look, all will become clearer straight away.

part number 5 , plastic/rubber grommit ,it fits into floor section, that is all that holds the bench in place on the front and stops it flapping around.

image.thumb.png.04acdf0780f4df8c406b7111de5dbb30.png

Lovely. I assumed something was missing or broken as to me the build quality of an Audi does not warrant a flappy rear bench 🙂 I will try to source that part. 

Any pics of your car.?👍

Yes indeed. Please ignore the wrong wheels, overtyre look and the dodgy "fast and furious" styling by the previous owner. He was from Essex after all 🙂 

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

19" alloys are not an issue on B7 provided they are the correct offset and tyres have been reduced in profile.

OEM setup on the special edition is 18" 8j et43 ronal alloys with 235/40 18" tyres, going to 19" is fine but that needs to change to 235/35 19" and offset can be upto ET 35 to retain clearance of the rear wheel arch liner, and certainly no more on the front.

I run 19" 8.5j OZ alloys on ET38 which is perfect, with KW coilovers, absolutely spot on and still retains a level of OE appearance too.

6 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

Yes indeed. Please ignore the wrong wheels, overtyre look and the dodgy "fast and furious" styling by the previous owner. He was from Essex after all 🙂 

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

Ok, front bumper is aftermarket with what looks to be a genuine RS4 grill.

Rear valance is aftermarket S4 , looks like an ecs one but sticks out a bit too much for ecs valance, cant recal the other brand but it will come to me.

Alloys are wrong offset or width , maybe both from for looks tyres dont help.

Still like we all say , it was the previous owners preference and if he liked it that way then fair enough.

Hu units, swapping to aftermarket devices requires a fitting kit which will inc the frame and surround, also a suitable adapter loom , most double DIN  oem B7 hu's have the quad lock setup so the fitting loom will get your ISO sony wiring into the Audi quadlock inteface.

depending on what audio spec was fitted at the factory the previous owner may not have fitted DAB ariel into the correct plug as there are two fakra plugs on some units , also the Ariel adapter needs power which many over look.

those alloys may infact be spaced aswell, suspenion ride height looks a bit high but possibly still on oem kit or similar spec , maybe the tyres making it look a bit too chunky though.

24 minutes ago, Just Rob said:

19" alloys are not an issue on B7 provided they are the correct offset and tyres have been reduced in profile.

OEM setup on the special edition is 18" 8j et43 ronal alloys with 235/40 18" tyres, going to 19" is fine but that needs to change to 235/35 19" and offset can be upto ET 35 to retain clearance of the rear wheel arch liner, and certainly no more on the front.

I run 19" 8.5j OZ alloys on ET38 which is perfect, with KW coilovers, absolutely spot on and still retains a level of OE appearance too.

I think these are RS wheels which with the wide body on that model may suit it but on mine it looks all wrong and the offset is terrible. In the week of owning it I have seen the rubbing on ther arches and picked all the melted rubber off !

I have found some lovely Le Mans genuine Audi 18.

8J X 18 ET 43 18/235/35 in anthracite which should be perfect without any spacers.

wheels 1.jpeg