Droning noise from transmission area at 60 mph

Glyn999

Hi I have a 2010 a3 tdi with high mileage 210000, I seem to have a droning noise from somewhere around transmission, it only starts around 55-60 mph. The clutch works fine as does gear selection. 
my thought are either drive shaft or maybe flywheel but unsure where to start, don’t want to random fix parts what doesn’t need fixing.
suggestions are welcomed or if anyone has had and rectified something similar?

John.

Good idea to only fix what's broken because renewing parts at random could cost you as much as a new car. With so little information to go on there are dozens of possibilities, so let's try to get some specifics.

[1] Can you feel any vibration when the noise starts, and if so where? (Floor, steering wheel, pedals.)

[2] Does the noise change when you fully open and fully close the throttle at 60 mph?

[3] Have the road wheels been balanced recently?

[4] Does the noise change as you turn the steering wheel? (I appreciate you can't go full lock at 60 mph so don't turn further than is safe.)

[5] Has the car been serviced according to the schedule, particularly regarding engine belts, water pump, etc?

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 12:58 PM, Magnet said:

Hello John,

Thanks for joining and posting your plea. 
Simple things first:- tyre (mix?) and condition? 
Might be worth swopping backs to fronts and seeing if the noise alters.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi I’ve changed both front tyres for new recently, and the noise hasn’t changed, both were balanced and car was tracked. 

On 9/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, cliffcoggin said:

John.

Good idea to only fix what's broken because renewing parts at random could cost you as much as a new car. With so little information to go on there are dozens of possibilities, so let's try to get some specifics.

[1] Can you feel any vibration when the noise starts, and if so where? (Floor, steering wheel, pedals.)

[2] Does the noise change when you fully open and fully close the throttle at 60 mph?

[3] Have the road wheels been balanced recently?

[4] Does the noise change as you turn the steering wheel? (I appreciate you can't go full lock at 60 mph so don't turn further than is safe.)

[5] Has the car been serviced according to the schedule, particularly regarding engine belts, water pump, etc?

Car drives really smooth up to 60 after that it seems to vibrate through the car and gets noticeably louder the faster you go, but in a dull out of balance sort of way, engine wise it’s due belts and is on my to do list, always had oil changes and service checks when due, oil normally every 4-6000  or annually it’s my second car atm but getting rid of my lease car

Thanks John,

OK, so we now know the front tyres are new. 
Back tyres matched across axle, and good tread? 
Age of back tyres? (embossed into side wall) 

We take it you acquired the car with this issue present -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

And no vibration at the steering wheel or pedals? In that case I would look to the rear tyres being damaged or out of balance as the most likely candidate.

That does not rule out other possibilities such as worn wheel bearings, loose wheel nuts, warped brake discs but they wou;d cause symptoms that you have not mentioned.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks John,

OK, so we now know the front tyres are new. 
Back tyres matched across axle, and good tread? 
Age of back tyres? (embossed into side wall) 

We take it you acquired the car with this issue present -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’ve had the car three years, and it had this condition when I bought it, as it was my second car and it never got rejected on mot or when in for service it was never investigated. But now it’s time to sort it.

Only now do you tell us that it is a long standing problem that has had no influence on the MOT test. A pity you did not mention it earlier. Is there any other relevent information you have been withholding? Has it been inspected at a garage?

Both Gareth and I have suggested rear tyres yet you have not mentioned them in your replies.

• 1 year later...

I seem to have same issue droning over 60mph and vibration new everything flywheel clutch brakes tyres drive shafts wheel bearings altho left wheel bearing bolt did back out so had that bearing replaced let off gas it stops clutch it if stops gear oil changed am I correct in thinking when wheel bearing bolt backed out it damaged the gearbox bearing or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

• 1 month later...

Hi 

I was wondering if anyone can help?! I have an A3 1.5 petrol purchased a few days ago. I noticed that when I am over 60mph there is a droning/whirring noise and a slight vibration through my acceleration pedal. I am going to call the garage but just wondered if I could get advice also. This is my first ever Audi. Many thanks. 

I have read the full thread, what I can see anyway. So basically from what I’m reading it could be a back tyre issue? It’s just been serviced so everything else mentioned should have been checked over. I will call the garage I purchased form tomorrow and go from there. I just wanted something to understand so I know what I’m talking about 😂🙈

It could be a back tyre issue, or any of a dozen different issues from the sparse information you have provided. Whatever the cause, if you bought the car recently take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

• Like 1