Front suspension bushes

Kels

I am a keen car enthusiast but I am no mechanic and so unfortunately I have to rely on Audi franchised dealers or local garages for maintenance. I have a 2016 Audi A7 S-Line Quattro with the 272 bhp engine with just under 40,000 miles on the clock. What a machine, but what a costly car to maintain. The car passed its MOT three weeks ago but the Audi dealers gave me an advisory on the front suspension bushes which are showing signs of perishing. They quoted me £989 to replace them which “I politely declined”. They state that there is no undue movement so it’s not an MOT failure so I can’t claim on my Audi Approved Used warranty and tell me that the cost is down to parts as the bushes and suspension arms must be replaced despite the fact that there is nothing at all wrong with the suspension arms.

Needless to say I will be getting the bushes replaced at an independent garage but do I really need to replace the suspension arms and how much should the job cost?

1 hour ago, Kels said:

I am a keen car enthusiast but I am no mechanic and so unfortunately I have to rely on Audi franchised dealers or local garages for maintenance. I have a 2016 Audi A7 S-Line Quattro with the 272 bhp engine with just under 40,000 miles on the clock. What a machine, but what a costly car to maintain. The car passed its MOT three weeks ago but the Audi dealers gave me an advisory on the front suspension bushes which are showing signs of perishing. They quoted me £989 to replace them which “I politely declined”. They state that there is no undue movement so it’s not an MOT failure so I can’t claim on my Audi Approved Used warranty and tell me that the cost is down to parts as the bushes and suspension arms must be replaced despite the fact that there is nothing at all wrong with the suspension arms.

Needless to say I will be getting the bushes replaced at an independent garage but do I really need to replace the suspension arms and how much should the job cost?

Hi my A6 which runs virtually the same suspension bush set up has now done 140k and the bushes were showing signs of perishing at about 50k, they all do it its the nature of high shore rubber its like your skin as it gets older it wrinkles, a bush is truly knackered when the rubber part de bonds with the metal outer and flops about, advisory is just another term for we want to rape your wallet/worry you to death, if your that set on replacement buy Powerflex poly bushes for it  they are not cheap but you will never replace a bush again, my opinion for what its worth is leave well alone if there is no movement they can't fail it, I hate dealers and their useless warranties they prey on people who don't quite understand mechanics and exploit them.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

thanks for your response. It is very much appreciated as it as I expected and so your reply gives me some peace of mind. I did give Stoke Audi some negative feedback when they asked for my opinion on the service because of this and because they also tried to sell me two new rear tyres at £482 due to a repairable puncture which will cost £25 to repair! I travel about 8000 miles a year these days and so i will take your advice and leave well alone. I suspect I will replace the car before the bushes require replacement. 

Regards … Mark

On 10/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, Kels said:

Hi Steve,

thanks for your response. It is very much appreciated as it as I expected and so your reply gives me some peace of mind. I did give Stoke Audi some negative feedback when they asked for my opinion on the service because of this and because they also tried to sell me two new rear tyres at £482 due to a repairable puncture which will cost £25 to repair! I travel about 8000 miles a year these days and so i will take your advice and leave well alone. I suspect I will replace the car before the bushes require replacement. 

Regards … Mark

Hi I am glad you opted for the suck it and see option and yes you will probably replace the car before the bushes, if you ask Steve Q about his starship milage Audi I am sure that even after some 300k + the only thing he has posted was a rear shock top mount bush that had the audacity to fail.

Steve.