Bouncy front end

Micklong

So, i replaced the front coil springs as both had broken and failed MOT.

I fitted the correct ones from Eurocarparts that corresponded with the OE part numbers and checked with Audi dealer. (sport suspension S-Line)

However the front end is so bouncy now it's like driving a boat. I don't mean is different,better,softer which it is but bounces when going over dips in the road to the extent that the nose bounces two or three times before settling.

The shocks are not leaking. The car has only done 40k and yes the springs have been fitted correctly. All I can think of is weak shocks, but they were ok before the change

Any ideas?

Mick

Hello Mick,

Thanks for joining and  posting your plea.

Your shock absorbers are 12 years old and likely to be passed their best, but…

The ECP springs maybe the correct ECP one for your car, in terms of dimension and fitment, but does the story end there -? 
The springs still may not necessarily be what they should be in terms of their compressibility- yes, guess, but this could be the case. Personally, I would want you to change the shock absorbers, only to find this doesn’t return the ride to where it was. 
What brand of springs did you buy from ECP? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth,

The ECP springs brand are starline. Just what they had available. 

Do you think maybe the shocks had weakened/become damaged due to the broken springs being lower than they should be? just a thought. Although fitting lowering springs surely wouldn't damage the shock so not sure just having lost 10-15mm height from broken spring would cause any issues?

Mick

Many thanks Mick,

Starline are an ‘EPC exclusive’ and their cheapest brand, and I can only quote from one of their delivery drivers who said to me that he wouldn’t fit any Starline product to his car! 
They may be the correct fitment, but to Audi’s specification?? I might, and probably will!, be blown out of the water, with this opinion, but… 

For me, I stick with brands such as Febi for aftermarket, and I’m seldom tempted by EPC’s big discount offers on sometimes inflated retail prices. I have used Car Parts in Motion quite a bit ( no connection, and there are obviously a far greater choice). They have usually provided the service I require at a competitive price. 
Back to your original question:-

Would I put my money on renewing your shock absorbers and all will be well again? No I wouldn’t. Would I alternatively replace the springs in the hope of an improvement ? That would be my preferred option, but I could be wrong Mick, and I’m conscious that it’s not my money. 
Perhaps you could update us when decisions are made. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.