Automatic Gearbox Fault

paradisiac82

2 minutes ago, paradisiac82 said:

ok, so would that then trigger the issue of not being able to go above 4th gear?

Hi yes it may well be the valve block in the gearbox but it sound like the wet clutch is slipping thats why it won't change up as the torque grip sensor is not getting the right information to change up, the glow plugs are definitely shot up the duty cycles are all over the place.

Steve.

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yes it may well be the valve block in the gearbox but it sound like the wet clutch is slipping thats why it won't change up as the torque grip sensor is not getting the right information to change up, the glow plugs are definitely shot up the duty cycles are all over the place.

Steve.

ah ok, so you think its the plugs rather than a fuse/relay? is it normal for all 6 to be bad? although tbh I have no idea if/when they were changed. On these engines are the prone to snapping in the head? I know some VW's I have owned this has been an issue

19 hours ago, paradisiac82 said:

ah ok, so you think its the plugs rather than a fuse/relay? is it normal for all 6 to be bad? although tbh I have no idea if/when they were changed. On these engines are the prone to snapping in the head? I know some VW's I have owned this has been an issue

Hi plug removal is fairly straight forward, if you get the engine nice and hot and use a low nm torque wrench set at 28nm to crack them off, reassembly should include a liberal coat of aluminium anti seize paste, the duty cycles are all different according to your post and yes the plugs wear as a set but at different failure rates.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Quivk update. So finally got car mot'd and on the road. Its a 3.0 TDi quattro s-line automatic. When I bought it, it had an issue where it would drive fine, then all of a sudden feel like it was in neutral then would shift past 3rd. Because it had no mot decided to get that done first. Picked it up earlier, took it for a drive, did as it was before drove fine for a bit, reved with no movement then stuck at not being able to get past 3rd.

But....turned into my road and all of a sudden there was a massive clunk and now there is no drive at all. Any ideas where to start? Is it a gearbox off to see job?

TIA

On 11/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi plug removal is fairly straight forward, if you get the engine nice and hot and use a low nm torque wrench set at 28nm to crack them off, reassembly should include a liberal coat of aluminium anti seize paste, the duty cycles are all different according to your post and yes the plugs wear as a set but at different failure rates.

Steve.

Hey, drained the oil and took the pan off, oil was a browny colour and has tiny metal flakes in. Do you think its worth putting fresh fluid in or would the metal flakes suggest something has failed? 

20221223_220636.jpg

Edited by paradisiac82

THE   C V T  BOX IS  A JOKE OF A BOX AND AUDI NO THAT  BUT STILL NOT SORTED THEM OUT THERE  BIGEST PILE  C  A CK     THE MADE 

On 12/24/2022 at 12:45 AM, paradisiac82 said:

Hey, drained the oil and took the pan off, oil was a browny colour and has tiny metal flakes in. Do you think its worth putting fresh fluid in or would the metal flakes suggest something has failed? 

20221223_220636.jpg

Hi yes possibly a tear in an overdue filter, you always get particle in gear oil especially when its as burnt up as that is, the gearbox service is worth a try.

Steve.

• 1 year later...