Anything to look for ? Advice please looking at a new (to me) car.

Mrs.JRL

Hi All, one of my first posts ! I have an 08 A4 Avant which I love and we are looking at a 61 plate A4 Black Edition saloon this weekend. Not getting rid of the current A4 (part ex my husbands car!) 

I havent had any troubles with my car but just wondering if there is anything I should look out for for this new one ? The last car we got we were totally stung on and it cost alot of money and we are gonna loose out so desperate not to do that again. 

Any advice / pointers ? Thanks in advance 🙂

Hello Jess,

Thanks for joining. 
To save us suggesting what you may already have checked, what have you looked into in terms of this particular car’s history? 
Also, trade or private sale? Local to you or not? 
Are you contemplating having a professional inspection on the car before committing, to minimise the risk of ‘getting stung’ again? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

10 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Jess,

Thanks for joining. 
To save us suggesting what you may already have checked, what have you looked into in terms of this particular car’s history? 
Also, trade or private sale? Local to you or not? 
Are you contemplating having a professional inspection on the car before committing, to minimise the risk of ‘getting stung’ again? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth - this is from a garage this time. I wouldn't do private again!! 

Until I get there I won't have checked service history etc but are there any costly services I should be checking... Cars done 61k. 

The last car we got was a known ban engine... So I'm basically checking for anything like that! The kind of info if you know... You know !! 

Car looks good on the outside and I'm test driving today. I'm expecting it too feel very similar to my Avant. 

Husband isn't test driving until Saturday! 

Thanks 😉

Many thanks Jess, but I fear you are going to look at this car without having done much homework, and that puts you into a potential ‘falling in love with the appearance’ situation. Personally, I wouldn’t do it. 
‘until I get there I won’t have check the service history etc…’ why not? ‘But there are other costly services I should be checking’ - what are those. 
Shall I boil the homework done?:- 

Look at the online MOT history recorded against the registration  number. 
Look at the DVLA Vehicle check to see the date the last V5 was issued - this can give you an idea of how long the last owner has owned it. Short ownership - suspicious. 
Ask the seller to e-Mail you copy of whatever service history they have. 
Ring up your Audi dealer and enquire about whatever service history they have recorded in their ‘National’ system.

Is it the car for sale at some distance? If so, you may have to kiss goodbye to the practicalities of getting any guarantee work done there. 
It’s interesting that you mention ‘Black Edition’ - as if this is more important than mentioning anything about its mileage etc. at that stage. Sounds like the pitfalls of falling in love with the looks of it, and what it has. 
You mention ‘costly checks’, but costly checks can save you an awful lot of money going forward, so consider the costs as a potential investment. 
Perhaps you could come back to us and let us know the homework details Jess. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

58 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks Jess, but I fear you are going to look at this car without having done much homework, and that puts you into a potential ‘falling in love with the appearance’ situation. Personally, I wouldn’t do it. 
‘until I get there I won’t have check the service history etc…’ why not? ‘But there are other costly services I should be checking’ - what are those. 
Shall I boil the homework done?:- 

Look at the online MOT history recorded against the registration  number. 
Look at the DVLA Vehicle check to see the date the last V5 was issued - this can give you an idea of how long the last owner has owned it. Short ownership - suspicious. 
Ask the seller to e-Mail you copy of whatever service history they have. 
Ring up your Audi dealer and enquire about whatever service history they have recorded in their ‘National’ system.

Is it the car for sale at some distance? If so, you may have to kiss goodbye to the practicalities of getting any guarantee work done there. 
It’s interesting that you mention ‘Black Edition’ - as if this is more important than mentioning anything about its mileage etc. at that stage. Sounds like the pitfalls of falling in love with the looks of it, and what it has. 
You mention ‘costly checks’, but costly checks can save you an awful lot of money going forward, so consider the costs as a potential investment. 
Perhaps you could come back to us and let us know the homework details Jess. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

What a fab idea..  I didnt even think to ring my local audi - They are sending me the history now via email! Its been there for most services and only recently had an oil change. As i mentioned above its done 61k.  Id looked at the MOT on the Gov website - thats due in a couple of weeks - the garage also does a minimum of 9m so this will be done before we take delivery of the car. 

And upon speaking to Audi Bury the car had at the cambelt done last year with the service and mot!! and the car has a service and mot plan! 

The car is about an hour away (so pretty local! and im visiting a friend whilst there!) The dealership is group 1 assured who are an Audi dealer and look after quite a few others and they have also absorbed my local merc dealership. 

The reason I mention Black Edition is previously when I looked at an Avant Black Edition it had peeling paint on the door handles - I know this would likely be covered under the paint warranty but didnt know if this was a thing?? 

In regards to owners im pretty sure it was 2 on the autotrader advert but its been taken down since I paid the holding deposit. 

Thanks! 

Thanks Jess, 

In marking your homework! :- 
MOT history?  ( as opposed to date of MOT). Has it ever failed, and why. Advisories? Have they been attended to? 
This 11 year old car is not being sold directly from a main dealer is it ? 
Don’t expect any paint warranty on an 11 year old car. 
Obviously too late now, but deposits are usually non refundable ( but probably transferable at the same seller) so my pre-purchase procedure is to always do all the homework, and gather copies of evidence before paying any deposit. 
Apologies for the pessimism, but unless you are competent at fully assessing this vehicle, then the ‘insurance’ is to invest in a professional inspection - particularly since you’ve already have one bad experience under your belt.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi Gareth! Sorry didnt see the above reply.  Not sure of MOT failures / reasons etc but as the car has been looked after by audi the service / mot has always been done there. Its only the last one which was done at group 1 and that needed new discs and pads. Which they did. We didnt have them service it (got a discount!) as it has a service plan with audi so they are doing it FOC in a couple of weeks and it lasts until 2025!! 

I did check before hand that the deposit was refundable... even if after test drive we didnt go ahead as too far apart on P/x price or whatever and he did confirm this - on email!! 

We both drove the car on saturday and yes... fell in love. Its now tuesday and still love it. Its quite poky .. similar drive to my older A4 but light like hubbys golf.  No knocks / strange noises to report. Int / Ext in perfect condition.

My only annoyance with this car is the bluetooth connectivity and playing music from my phone... but i see this is a thing for most owners! we have ordered some kind of adapter!!

But thank you for your help. It was much easier with knowing some of the back ground for the car... 🙂

• Like 1