Service plans

simonb82

I’m looking at a couple of next car options and an A4 35TFSI Avant is high up my list. I’m just trying to work out service plans though

Most other manufacturers seem to offer a plan that covers everything which has a scheduled interval. However reading the Audi one it seems the plan only covers the service and then other items like brake fluid, S-Tronic oil change etc are all still charged as extras 

Is that really true? Given they have a set service schedule I assumed like other manufacturers they’d be included in any service plan 

Thats interesting. Most service plans on various cars I've had the brake fluid, AC regas and gearbox oil changes were extras. 

Air filters, pollen filters should be covered under a major service. Spark plugs should be covered too and changed as per the service interval. 

Air con refresh has always been an extra. Certainly brake fluid has been covered on other plans I’ve had and I sort of expected the gearbox oil to be covered since it’s a scheduled fluid change 

On 1/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, simonb82 said:

Air con refresh has always been an extra. Certainly brake fluid has been covered on other plans I’ve had and I sort of expected the gearbox oil to be covered since it’s a scheduled fluid change 

Interesting. I know the service plans I saw when working at VW gearbox oil, brake fluid and AC were all extras. 

• 2 weeks later...

First time poster as I’m just looking at getting the first service on my A4 35 TFSI. Which is lovely.

Service plans seem to be pretty rubbish in my use case. I’ve had the car less than a year and covered 17k miles.

Oil change service is now due and is £280.

That’s dear, but around what I was expecting. But wait, I’m due an inspection service at 20k miles which is another £300! For which I get a pollen filter change. Audi recommend I get the two services done together.

So first year’s service on a brand new car with 17k miles is £580.

I’ve been to the main dealer today to ask about the service plan to see if that would make things better. They were really helpful but confirmed that the service plans are basic and cover only two oil change services and an inspection service (inc pollen filter). You pay £22.50 over two years, so £540 in total. But it ONLY covers those ‘three’ services (2 x oil and 1 x pollen filter) regardless of whether or not you will use up these services in less time than it takes to pay for them. 

Worse, brake fluid is extra, as is the auto box service, pads and everything else consumable.

So, over the next two years at 17k miles p.a. I’d still need another inspection service on top of the service plan, plus all the extras like brake fluid, plugs, box service and fluid and so on.

So seems like the plan is only worthwhile if you want to break the payments down and do less than 10k miles per year. And you’d still need to budget for some extras like brake fluid and plugs. It’s a marginal benefit if you’re not low mileage.

As the software updates itself OTA, seems crazy not to go to an indy. Any recommendations in Herts / Bucks?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Reggie23, was going to ask a similar question as have just got a 2021 A4 TFSI Avant, and looking into options for future Servicing, doesn't really sound worth it then if low mileage.