Number Plate Light Fault

JordanMayes

Hi all, before posting this i’ve attempted to search previous forum posts and have scrolled through the forum as a whole and cannot find anything else relating to my issue. 

The issue that i seem to be having is with my number plate lights on my 2009 Audi A4 Avant Executive S Line. A fault is showing up on my dash board saying “Number Plate Lights” and neither of them are currently working. I popped down Halfrauds and bought two new bulbs and fitted them. They worked - until i shut the boot and they cut out again - when i reopened the boot they wouldn’t come back on. I’m suspecting a wiring issue somewhere of some kind. 

I’m new to this car and new to Audis as a whole, does anyone have any experience or tips and tricks in this area as to where i could start with fixing this? 

Any help or advice is going to be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!

Hello Jordon,

Thanks for joining.

My first port of call would be to inspect the wires within the flexible harness section twixt body and tailgate. It’s quite common for wires to fracture within this, particularly in cold weather, due to years of flexing. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Jordon,

Thanks for joining.

My first port of call would be to inspect the wires within the flexible harness section twixt body and tailgate. It’s quite common for wires to fracture within this, particularly in cold weather, due to years of flexing. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thank you for your reply Gareth, to gain access to that do i need to remove the interior trim of the tailgate? i can’t immediately spot any wiring