Returned back to hell. Dreaded Air Suspension

Audinoob2023

Good evening, 

I went away with the armed forces for a month and upon my return... I was met by my 2008 audi q7 3.0 tdi was sitting basically just above the wheel line. The suspension seems to be down on each corner and even worse, when I turn it on, it doesn't rise at all. I have searched many forums before posting and there are a lot of issues talking about air suspension failures on a specific corner or even axle, but all four of mine are down. Has anyone come across this and also have any advice on what to do next? I am certain that it's going to cost me.

Hello Mark,

Since the car sits evenly low and doesn’t rise at all on start up, then I would suspect the compressor- usually the ceramic piston ring - that’s assuming the electrical supply is intact.  Worth looking up Bagpiping Andy on eBay. He has been the guru on air suspension for years. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Mark,

Compressor DIYable? I guess like all things, that depends on ability and experience. The ones I’ve replaced rings in have been non-Audi, and access to remove the compressor had been rather awkward, but replacing the ring with the compressor on the bench was quite easy, but methodical is the key word. Where the compressor lives on yours? 
Guarantee that the compressor is at fault on yours? - but I’m sure Andy will talk you through the possibilities. 
As I understand it, you can buy replacement compressors - from Andy I think - and some are quite cheap (probably ex China). I’m appreciative of the fact that doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t last, and opinions vary on that. If recent experience of a neighbour spending 5 hours fitting such an alternator, and it lasted about a week then that might be worth noting. 
I would pass it all passed Andy and see what he says before doing or ordering anything.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 2/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Magnet said:

I avoid them like the plague Mark, but respect their usage and purpose, so it needs others to advise you on that. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I bought a scanner to change my rear brake pads to allow me to release the ehb and get the piston back in on the caliper. Works well I thought, pretty straight forward to use and not gonna break the bank

ANCEL VD500 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader ABS SRS EPB Oil Diagnostic Tool For VW/Audi. Bought off eBay

• Like 1