2010 2.0TDI Audi a4 B8 Automatic Soft Regen??

ScottyG96

Hi folks,

Question. Does this model have a function where it automatically performs a soft Regen of the DPF ?

Reason I ask is out of the blue the fans have only recently started to stay on after driving. This hasn’t happened before. Coolant looks good, oil looks good (both replaced recently).

I’ve been having concerns with the coolant temperature gauge as it never shows the car at normal operating temperature @90 degrees, always lower and fluctuating. Was like this since I bought the car. Intending on replacing thermostat housing and coolant sensor to hopefully rectify.

Slight burning smell from back of car which leads me to believe it’s a DPF Regen. Only started to do this today.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Also any guides on replacing temp sensor and thermostat also greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Edited by ScottyG96

33 minutes ago, ScottyG96 said:

Hi folks,

Question. Does this model have a function where it automatically performs a soft Regen of the DPF ?

Reason I ask is out of the blue the fans have only recently started to stay on after driving. This hasn’t happened before. Coolant looks good, oil looks good (both replaced recently).

I’ve been having concerns with the coolant temperature gauge as it never shows the car at normal operating temperature @90 degrees, always lower and fluctuating. Was like this since I bought the car. Intending on replacing thermostat housing and coolant sensor to hopefully rectify.

Slight burning smell from back of car which leads me to believe it’s a DPF Regen. Only started to do this today.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Also any guides on replacing temp sensor and thermostat also greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Hi no such thing as a soft regeneration it either does it or not, there is no passive regeneration, suspect your car is not driven very far as the fans come on because it has tried to initiate a regeneration and failed because the engine has been turned off, if you do this often enough this will fill the oil sump with diesel as these are post injection engines, the fans operate all the way through the regeneration process to dissipate the extreme heat caused by the blast furnace temps inside the DPF [extra burning fuel ], in essence give it a bottle of DPF cleaner in the tank and take it for a good run 22mls minimum.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

if you do this often enough this will fill the oil sump with diesel as these are post injection engines

Steve.

mine is doing the same on short runs now and again.if i do this too often would this mean goodbye engine

On 3/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, alpha omega said:

mine is doing the same on short runs now and again.if i do this too often would this mean goodbye engine

Hi no if you use a proprietary DPF cleaner and when its regenerating just drive until it stops, the DPF cleaner makes the soot particles smaller and burn off at a much lower temperature, I use a bottle a week as I do a ton of town driving say six or seven hundred miles a week, I have been checking the soot/ash loadings after regeneration and its regularly -1.5grams of soot and between 7-8 grams of ash so the cleaner actually works, moral of the story is don't turn it off in the middle of a regeneration.

Steve.