Q7 tyre wear 2021 on Black Edition or Vorsprung

Andyhunter

Hi, new to this club used to drive a few Audis and liked them, recently I have had a few Discoveries but am now contemplating changing to a Q7 50tdi black edition or Vorsprung but have heard reports of excessive tyre wear 7/10k. Would love to hear from Q7 owners liked the Q7 to drive but got 25k plus out of tyres on the Discovery. Does the rear steering on the Vorsprung improve this, £1200 for a set of tyres every 4 months doesn’t encourage me. Responses appreciated Thanks Andy

32 minutes ago, Andyhunter said:

Hi, new to this club used to drive a few Audis and liked them, recently I have had a few Discoveries but am now contemplating changing to a Q7 50tdi black edition or Vorsprung but have heard reports of excessive tyre wear 7/10k. Would love to hear from Q7 owners liked the Q7 to drive but got 25k plus out of tyres on the Discovery. Does the rear steering on the Vorsprung improve this, £1200 for a set of tyres every 4 months doesn’t encourage me. Responses appreciated Thanks Andy

Hi never owned one myself but my accountant recently had a real yearning to own one so I suggested he went and had a word with the garage I use when something is above my pay grade, he has fixed practically every Audi in the range [except electric he refuses to even look at them], anyway my guy explained the atrocities visited on the cars he has fixed including the poor guy that spent over a grand just in suspension parts to try and get the savage tyre wear down, apparently they are all the same so the accountant trolled off and bought a late Q5 S line which as per the garage owners recommendation has no tyre wear anomalies and is good all round reliable, he is well chuffed.

Steve.

Cheers Steven, appreciate the response would not consider paying that for tyres every 4 months get a full year out of a set of Pirelli Scorpions on the Disco. Looking for a 7 seater and fresh Discos are hard to find may take a drive in a Defender 👍

11 hours ago, Andyhunter said:

Cheers Steven, appreciate the response would not consider paying that for tyres every 4 months get a full year out of a set of Pirelli Scorpions on the Disco. Looking for a 7 seater and fresh Discos are hard to find may take a drive in a Defender 👍

Defender is one option, Volvo XC90 is 7 seater I believe. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 6:14 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi never owned one myself but my accountant recently had a real yearning to own one so I suggested he went and had a word with the garage I use when something is above my pay grade, he has fixed practically every Audi in the range [except electric he refuses to even look at them], anyway my guy explained the atrocities visited on the cars he has fixed including the poor guy that spent over a grand just in suspension parts to try and get the savage tyre wear down, apparently they are all the same so the accountant trolled off and bought a late Q5 S line which as per the garage owners recommendation has no tyre wear anomalies and is good all round reliable, he is well chuffed.

Steve.

I have a 72 plate Vorsprung with just over 7000 miles on the clock.  Tyres are wearing as I would expect.  No sure who gets 4000 miles from a set of tyres unless they are driving it like a hire car!

49 minutes ago, VorsprungQ7 said:

I have a 72 plate Vorsprung with just over 7000 miles on the clock.  Tyres are wearing as I would expect.  No sure who gets 4000 miles from a set of tyres unless they are driving it like a hire car!

Hi I don't think you have read the first post properly at no point did the author mention 4000 miles, come to that no other person involved in any reply mentioned that figure either, I think the original post mentioned 7-10k which I would personally take in view of the fact same as me does a fair amount of driving over a month, if you only use the vehicle over short distances on mostly good roads you will probably achieve higher milage, driving style will always impact tyre wear but if you read the post he states he is getting 25k out of the tyres on a discovery which would indicate he is not using rubbish rubber or driving like a lunatic, the other fact is Q7s have a well documented reputation for tyre wear, they can't all be lying.

Steve.

Yea, sorry 4 months, not 4000 miles.  Still excessive though and around 1000 miles a month, which is kinda what most folk do, 4000 miles is about right.  At 7000 plus miles, mine are not wearing anymore than I would expect.  Did a search on here for 'tyre wear' and didn't get any hits for excessive wear on Q7s.  Did a wider search and seems to be on older Q7s, so hopefully I will not suffer the same.  What do most folk here get from their tyres on the Q7?  I will report back at 10000 miles.

Edited by VorsprungQ7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VorsprungQ7 said:

Yea, sorry 4 months, not 4000 miles.  Still excessive though and around 1000 miles a month, which is kinda what most folk do, 4000 miles is about right.  At 7000 plus miles, mine are not wearing anymore than I would expect.  Did a search on here for 'tyre wear' and didn't get any hits for excessive wear on Q7s.  Did a wider search and seems to be on older Q7s, so hopefully I will not suffer the same.  What do most folk here get from their tyres on the Q7?  I will report back at 10000 miles.

Hi as you quite rightly point out no one has yet reported in on the performance of the tyres on newer models, I think it will be pleasing to actually find out real time how you are doing at 10,000 it might instill a bit more confidence in potential new owners, I sort of gained the impression from the author that he might be doing near what I do a month about 2,800 miles a month, I wish you all good luck with your tyres.

Steve.

3 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I don't think you have read the first post properly at no point did the author mention 4000 miles, come to that no other person involved in any reply mentioned that figure either, I think the original post mentioned 7-10k which I would personally take in view of the fact same as me does a fair amount of driving over a month, if you only use the vehicle over short distances on mostly good roads you will probably achieve higher milage, driving style will always impact tyre wear but if you read the post he states he is getting 25k out of the tyres on a discovery which would indicate he is not using rubbish rubber or driving like a lunatic, the other fact is Q7s have a well documented reputation for tyre wear, they can't all be lying.

Steve.

Yes average round 25k miles a year realise the Audi sits better on the road and will not get the 25k I get on my discovery, but would find 10/12k hard to swallow, really interested to hear from newer model owners 2021 onwards 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 19 plate Vorsprung with the factory 22s.

I’m on 62,000 miles and I have about 5mm left on my second set of Hankooks.

I also run a set of 20s with winter tyres each winter and they have seen 3 winters and will do me another winter at least.

I do a lot of motorway driving but I’m on track for 30,000 miles a set.

Just rotate them periodically as the front do wear slightly faster.

Chur

Yeah I read the stories about tyre wear etc but not had an issue.

I’m getting about 40mpg combined in a 50TDI. I’m mostly in Efficiency mode as the suspension handles the potholes better rather than Dynamic lol.

But yeah, Vorsprung is a nice place to be 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, new poster here.

Just changed the original 285/35R22 Hankooks on my 2019 Q7 at 28,000 miles. Could have gone a bit longer, but for a puncture.

I was without the car from Sunday (Monday a bank holiday) until today Friday waiting for the tyres to be delivered from the wholesaler to my local tyre depot. Has anyone any advice regarding getting a spare wheel, space saver or full size?

Cheers…😎