no communication with ecu

hi all,i am an amateur user so plain english please with any replies thank you.i have an audi a4 avant b8 2011 2.0tdi i was hoping to change the values on the central locking(to unlock all doors with one press of the key if thats possible) through a snap on modis ultra 19.2 but it says at the begining ecu may be disabled or corrupted and i cannot find how to find out how to sort this.it also says no communication is key on.ensure scanner is connected once i tried going through the motion of trying to change the values.....on google it shows a reset button i was going to try but its not there on this scanner.i may have accidently removed or interupted the scanner unconsciously causing this fault please see pictures. any advice to remove these faults would be appreciated thank you

20230320_095302.jpg

20230320_095755.jpg

20230320_095430.jpg

20230320_094451.jpg

1 hour ago, alpha omega said:

hi all,i am an amateur user so plain english please with any replies thank you.i have an audi a4 avant b8 2011 2.0tdi i was hoping to change the values on the central locking(to unlock all doors with one press of the key if thats possible) through a snap on modis ultra 19.2 but it says at the begining ecu may be disabled or corrupted and i cannot find how to find out how to sort this.it also says no communication is key on.ensure scanner is connected once i tried going through the motion of trying to change the values.....on google it shows a reset button i was going to try but its not there on this scanner.i may have accidently removed or interupted the scanner unconsciously causing this fault please see pictures. any advice to remove these faults would be appreciated thank you

20230320_095302.jpg

20230320_095755.jpg

20230320_095430.jpg

20230320_094451.jpg

Hi try removing the battery earth for a couple of hours it may well re boot but don't try and do this task on that scanner, its not a rubbish unit, on the contrary its a very good generic unit, to perform what tasks you wish you need a manufacturer specific software VCDS/OBD Eleven.

Steve.

4 hours ago, alpha omega said:

hi steve thanks for the info.so remove the negative lead.will i need to have the battery re-coded or am i thinking wrong thanks stephen

Hi no re coding as its the same battery you only re code with a new unit to let the BEM know its got a new battery and not to charge at the same rate as the worn one, had a word with a mate of mine and he said 20 mins should do it and make sure you leave a door open as sometimes they can lock all the doors which will be a problem, with regard to the OBD port it can take exception to certain types of software used to interrogate it and cut the communication to prevent any intrusion into the ECU.

Steve. 

15 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi no re coding as its the same battery you only re code with a new unit to let the BEM know its got a new battery and not to charge at the same rate as the worn one, had a word with a mate of mine and he said 20 mins should do it and make sure you leave a door open as sometimes they can lock all the doors which will be a problem, with regard to the OBD port it can take exception to certain types of software used to interrogate it and cut the communication to prevent any intrusion into the ECU.

Steve. 

all sorted now steve😀 i would like to thank you and your mate for your help.as well as removing the negative lead for at least 20 minutes i then removed the maf sensor plug/connector.re-connected the battery and it came up with the yellow wiggly thing on the dash.plugged in the snap on and it came up with the fault and code(see pics) i then plugged the maf sensor back in and cleared the code.and then put the key in without starting the car checked for any codes and itshowed as no codes present👍 stephen

20230321_100255.jpg

20230321_100308.jpg

20230321_100745.jpg

3 hours ago, alpha omega said:

all sorted now steve😀 i would like to thank you and your mate for your help.as well as removing the negative lead for at least 20 minutes i then removed the maf sensor plug/connector.re-connected the battery and it came up with the yellow wiggly thing on the dash.plugged in the snap on and it came up with the fault and code(see pics) i then plugged the maf sensor back in and cleared the code.and then put the key in without starting the car checked for any codes and itshowed as no codes present👍 stephen

20230321_100255.jpg

20230321_100308.jpg

20230321_100745.jpg

Hi I have come across this many times with different vehicles, Ford for example can be read with just about any generic software for codes with varying degrees of success until you go into them and start trying to alter protocols for various functions then the ECU goes into protection mode an shuts down the Can Gateway and enables the immobiliser to protect the car because it thinks its being [jarked] stolen, with the manufacturer specific software it recognises the entry elements for the Can Gateway and won't mind you fiddling with it, excellent intuition unplugging the MAF because when it was rebooted it gave it something else to worry about, your system is very good but for reading codes on different vehicles, my garage I use has about three different Snap-On units but if he ever needs to readapt anything that is a bit exotic on a Ford he uses Forscan.

Steve.

• Thanks 1