End of the road?

Steve Q

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,sorry to hear about the cars(a bit unlucky)sorry not responded been ill, have you tried engineengineering.co.uk,had a quick read of this content last night when looking how to replace my f125 switch on car,not been driven for a long while then had this problem,anyway looked back just now at engine code and this company have full reconditioned engines 2.5tdi v6,they might have others also just if you’re thinking of a whole rebuild 

1 hour ago, Lawl said:

Hi Steve,sorry to hear about the cars(a bit unlucky)sorry not responded been ill, have you tried engineengineering.co.uk,had a quick read of this content last night when looking how to replace my f125 switch on car,not been driven for a long while then had this problem,anyway looked back just now at engine code and this company have full reconditioned engines 2.5tdi v6,they might have others also just if you’re thinking of a whole rebuild 

Thank you so much. Will look into them. Sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope you're recovering now? 

I'd suspended work on the A6 in the short term whilst I've been doing the house up and getting prepped for our new (first) arrival. 

• Like 1

Congratulations,you might want to make that long term on car😁,you’ll be kept busy,getting there on health just this daft brain playing up amongst other things .my youngest is down at limpston just now on his last bit of training for royal marine commandos it’s been a quick 22 years,so make the most of your time with your new arrival because it flies in,I’m sure you’ll get it on the road and pass it down to your children,was just under car trying to get to this f125 switch🤬,if I get it done within three days I’ll be happy don’t want to push myself or accidents will happen 

Thank you 😊 lol, well I'm hoping I'll be able to get it back on the road asap as I want to bring my daughter along to the shows. Oh bless ya, hope you get better soon. Definitely, wife and I have been wanting children for the last 7 years. 

• Thanks 1

That makes it an even more special occasion,hope all is good for your wife,it’s really good to hear a nice thing considering life can be !Removed! at times🙏. Going to go and get half my body dry from the waist down was pouring down with rain when under car,will keep updated with it and if it solves the problem,again congrats 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 12:26 PM, Steve Q said:

Thanks kev, did you manage to speak to your mate about a rebuild? 

yes  i got to ring him up reminded him as he dose all the work and his nefu  dose all priceing up  be weekend hopefully steve    kev

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update, the guy doing my engine swap has been delayed massively due to his other personal commitments. 

Still looking at other engine options than the 2.5. not looking for smaller engines such as the 1.9 etc. 

Still torn as what route to take. I do appreciate it seems like I'm going in circles regarding engines. But I'm torn between performance or reliability, the latter for being able to get parts when on road trips. 

One of the biggest issues is that Audi is the only modern manufacturer that produces cars that are fwd with a longitudinal engine. 

Most cars are now transverse, those that have longitudinal engines are either 4wd or rwd. 

Regarding technical matters, my plan is to get the imobiliser removed from the instrument cluster so that they can be used for any engine option. There would be no imobiliser in the fuel pump as I'd run one suitable for the engine. 

Regarding emissions, as my A6 was registered in 2002 (02 plate) under DVLA rules it has pass the emissions figures stated for the year the engine was produced. For example 1993 for a land rover 200tdi, 198x for an isuzu 2.8 etc. 

Naturally I'd be notifying DVLA of engine change. 

Option 1: 

Fit a simpler diesel engine that's more mechanically simple such as the Isuzu 2.8 4jb or the land rover 200/300tdi, both of which are inline4 and will be slower but are some of the most reliable diesels ever and will run on veg oil. The Isuzu has the same clutch size as the A6 and the land rover engine is the same cc as the A6 which means notification to DVLA simpler. The drawback is both engines a long strokes. So would require the bonnet to be raised. 

Option 2 

Fit a v8 petrol engine, which would be a tight fit but doable. Not quite sure how this will work in the fwd setup. 

The Audi 4.2 will bolt straight up and parts are available as it's production run has been longer and as it was available in quattro I'm thinking this could easily be run in fwd. 

Chevy small block (lt/ls), is more mechanically simple and parts are plentiful in the state at least as it's the most mass produced v8. Also theres a direct adapter plate for this engine to my current gearbox. Not quite sure how this would work in a fwd configuration though as ls are usually mated to rwd setup. 

Rover V8 which has great parts supply but least reliable V8 option but cheaper to repair than the other two v8s. Not quite sure how this would work in a fwd configuration though as rover v8s are usually mated to rwd setup or 4wd. I'm assuming it's doable.

Lexus 1uz engine which is one of the most reliable V8 engines ever made. Just worried about parts availability. Not quite sure how this would work in a fwd configuration though as 1uz are usually mated to rwd setup

Option 3 

Fit a totally different engine, possibly transverse which I can mount longitudinally. Such as the Toyota 2ar-fxe or the mercedes a45 any engine. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

steve  just sold my A8  TO mel  few weeks back 500 quid  had nown that   kev

13 minutes ago, audia4b5kev said:

steve  just sold my A8  TO mel  few weeks back 500 quid  had nown that   kev

No probs buddy. Hope you're doing ok. As I say I'm still unsure what option to take. 

I do think the 2.5tdi engines days are numbered for parts availability hence why I'm considering other options. 

For what its worth if it was me and I'd had the car that long and wanted to keep it I'd go for a rebuild / modification, at least that way you know it's been done properly and it secures some decent life into the car going forward, with the 2.5 TDi being so few and far between when it comes to second hand units AND the fact most garages don't want to get involved either way it's going to cost, BUT .... if you rebuild or modify it properly when its done you have peace of mind, and that is priceless, whereas second hand there is always that constant nagging in the back of your mind of "how long will this one last" 

Good luck what ever you decide.👍

10 hours ago, S-Cronic said:

For what its worth if it was me and I'd had the car that long and wanted to keep it I'd go for a rebuild / modification, at least that way you know it's been done properly and it secures some decent life into the car going forward, with the 2.5 TDi being so few and far between when it comes to second hand units AND the fact most garages don't want to get involved either way it's going to cost, BUT .... if you rebuild or modify it properly when its done you have peace of mind, and that is priceless, whereas second hand there is always that constant nagging in the back of your mind of "how long will this one last" 

Good luck what ever you decide.👍

Thank you for your input 🙂 it's such a tough decision as I want longevity, and ease of repair which Is why I think either a simpler engine or more modern engine. 

The problem I'm finding is any advice on similar builds.  

• 3 weeks later...