End of the road?

Steve Q

I'm slightly confused, is this an iveco engine or has it been engine swapped? 

The iveco 2.5 turbo is an inline 4 and mines a v6. 

10 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Steve I think you will find that the instrument cluster from my understanding would be controlled by the body control module but anything to do with starting and emissions is the ECU I will ring those that know Tuesday to confirm if the block and heads are all the same it should just be a case of bolting on all your existing emissions gear, it might be a bit of a faf but I am working on the theory based on my car that the block and head are the same as each other my engine is CNHA but the DETA engine on my neighbours Q5 is virtually the same but with different ECU  programming but before we get carried away we await milage etc from KEV, will look in to the other engine.

Steve.

So will the current rad etc fit directly. Or do I need the radiator etc. 

no that iveco  is a pain in my  neck  lol  the audi engine is v6 2.7 diesel    and your rad pack will be ok   to 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

no that iveco  is a pain in my  neck  lol  the audi engine is v6 2.7 diesel    and your rad pack will be ok   to 

Thanks kev. Heard the 2.7 suffers from injector a d timing chain issues. 

I've had a quote to rebuild my engine for £2200. But then I'd have to get a new turbo, injectors etc. This company: 

http://hayesengines4x4.co.uk/

Very tempted with this option but do a turbo upgrade from the 3.0TDI which can be converted to work along with upgrade (race injectors), FMIC, egr blank, aluminium rad, sports exhaust and then remap on the new engine. 

Think this could give best of both worlds of new engine and extra performance. 

I'd be adding a new clutch and dmf. Very tempted to fit a new injection pump. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. One of the garages who were looking to do the work ha e informed me that getting internal parts are proving hard to source. I believe this to be true and not being fobbed off as the garage is run by the son of a good colleague of mine. 

So I may have to look at a totally different engine after all. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, audia4b5kev said:

Thanks Kev, 

Think I'm aiming for a new engine, what ever engine that might be lol. 

54 minutes ago, audia4b5kev said:

COULD ALWAYS USE BOTTOM END OFF 2.7

I'm wondering this: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195697202625?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JbL9iQ_JQSW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IE07kO4STZy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

A rover v8 was a suggestion from a colleague ex mechanic. Wondering whether simplicity is the way forward? 

The question is, would it fit? And would it mate to the current gearbox? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I'm wondering this: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195697202625?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JbL9iQ_JQSW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IE07kO4STZy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

A rover v8 was a suggestion from a colleague ex mechanic. Wondering whether simplicity is the way forward? 

The question is, would it fit? And would it mate to the current gearbox? 🤔

YES  AND MOTORBIKE CARBS AND YA UP RUNNING NEE ECU TO WORY ABOUT  AND YOU CAN MATCH BOX TO IT TO 

Just now, audia4b5kev said:

YES  AND MOTORBIKE CARBS AND YA UP RUNNING NEE ECU TO WORY ABOUT  AND YOU CAN MATCH BOX TO IT TO 

Exactly, I could run it on carbs if I wish. Plus no turbo or egr to worry about. 

Glad it'll fit. Would my 6 speed manual gearbox work or would I need to fit a T5 gearbox? 

I'd also consider the mercedes om617a turbo diesel engine as fitted in the w123 or w124 as it's a hardy engine. But I'd want one that's new, which will be more expensive and harder to source bits for than the river V8. 

Just an update on my research, coming back to the 2ar-fxe Toyota 2.5 na from the rav4. Spoke to a guru about these engines and he said not to worry about the auxiliaries as I can just fit a alternator and water pump from a normal 2ar-fe engine. So that's still an option. The guru said I'd have to mount my current A6 gearbox to it as the Toyota gearbox is transverse.

Not ruling out a V8 either, as I've found a narrow body A6 like mine fitted with the 4.2 Audi V8. I'd be looking at the rover V8 3.5 or a lexus v8. I've ruled out the Toyota Hilux diesel (2LT) as they're not as reliable as I thought.   

FB_IMG_1682404295503.jpg

FB_IMG_1682404303316.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had a quote from an engine rebuilder that Steve recommended. Very knowledgeable company and to rebuild my engine will cost around £5,220. That includes:

£3,400 for all new internals. Including new Cambelt and water pump. Block and heads the same. 

£1200 new injectors (my choice) as mine are 21 years old. 

£590 for a genuine Audi turbo. 

Total so far is £5,220

I've asked for additional costs of changing thermostat while they're at it. But not had a price for this yet. 

I'm going to ask them to quote for replacement clutch and duel mass flywheel. 

If I'm doing it I may as well go the whole hog?! 

• 2 weeks later...

thought could    strip  down  get best bits make  one   out the two       kev

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is of any use, but I have an A6 Avant Quattro with a 2.5TDI AKE engine, that runs perfectly. I'm selling the entire car for £1000. It has a dead auto gearbox.

Interior is cream leather, black dash and trim, front heated and electric seats, xenon lights, Dolphin grey in colour. A lovely car, just cannot find a replacement gearbox.

I have a Manual 2.5TDI C5 Allroad too, and an A4 B6 1.9TDI Avant Quattro. Love this era of Audi.

Let me know if this interests you Steve

• Like 1