Trickle charging running car battery at lower RPM

DeeWS

Can car battery while engine is running be charged by a smart trickle charger powered by a portable power station if the alternator is not adequately charging the battery at lower RPMs? 

The trickle charger would be charging via the cigarette lighter socket in the car during excessive idling periods in traffic.

4 hours ago, DeeWS said:

Can car battery while engine is running be charged by a smart trickle charger powered by a portable power station if the alternator is not adequately charging the battery at lower RPMs? 

The trickle charger would be charging via the cigarette lighter socket in the car during excessive idling periods in traffic.

Hi what leads you to the conclusion that your alternator is not charging, the whole point of smart charging is that the alternator steps up the voltage when the battery is becoming drained to compensate for the loss of voltage, therefore it would be cheaper to buy an upgrade alternator rather than blow the electrics by feeding in power to a 60amp socket instead of out.

Steve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi what leads you to the conclusion that your alternator is not charging, the whole point of smart charging is that the alternator steps up the voltage when the battery is becoming drained to compensate for the loss of voltage, therefore it would be cheaper to buy an upgrade alternator rather than blow the electrics by feeding in power to a 60amp socket instead of out.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Nice to receive your response again. 

Its a continuation from your responses to my earlier post of "Recommendation for AGM battery for Audi Q7 2007 4.2L FSI". I received the compatible Battery Mangement Module and installed it. It got registered but the DTC 02254 (Generator Interface not communicating/Not OK) is still generated when starting the car. After some time the Generator Interface shows OK and I am positive the battery is charging as the actual voltage is then 14 volts or more. When the Generator Interface is Not OK the voltage is about 13.5 volts and I am not sure the alternator is charging the battery adequately. In case of an extended idling situation I am worried the battery will run down if in a Generator Not OK state. Hence I was investigating the situation where I could manually insert the trickle charge (using CTEK) if that would not introduce excessive current.

At start, the alternator should be able to get 12 volts from the battery via the battery management module to create the magnetic field to start turning. Does the DTC 02254 imply that there is no continuity initially between the alternator and the connector on the battery management module. I would have to verify this continuity with a multimeter, Hence my other post "Continuity of wire from alternator to J644 in Q7" to figure out how I will go about doing it.

Thank you and best regards

21 hours ago, DeeWS said:

Hi Steve

Nice to receive your response again. 

Its a continuation from your responses to my earlier post of "Recommendation for AGM battery for Audi Q7 2007 4.2L FSI". I received the compatible Battery Mangement Module and installed it. It got registered but the DTC 02254 (Generator Interface not communicating/Not OK) is still generated when starting the car. After some time the Generator Interface shows OK and I am positive the battery is charging as the actual voltage is then 14 volts or more. When the Generator Interface is Not OK the voltage is about 13.5 volts and I am not sure the alternator is charging the battery adequately. In case of an extended idling situation I am worried the battery will run down if in a Generator Not OK state. Hence I was investigating the situation where I could manually insert the trickle charge (using CTEK) if that would not introduce excessive current.

At start, the alternator should be able to get 12 volts from the battery via the battery management module to create the magnetic field to start turning. Does the DTC 02254 imply that there is no continuity initially between the alternator and the connector on the battery management module. I would have to verify this continuity with a multimeter, Hence my other post "Continuity of wire from alternator to J644 in Q7" to figure out how I will go about doing it.

Thank you and best regards

Hi check the voltage from the alternator should be 14-14.5v on a multimeter from the back probe, if this is ok then check the plug wring from the alternator for corrosion I have known it to be corroded under the insulation and the wire is brown  and not copper coloured which causes a resistance especially on the pulse wire to the ECU, there is also a situation where the regulator in the alternator is going up the wall and sends a voltage spike which will also cause a similar problem as the BEM will signal the ECU to shut down the voltage so it won't damage other components, how old is the alternator as it can only realistically be that or the smart charge wiring, 13.5 volts is a good average and is this problem throwing a light up.

Regards Steve.

4 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

how old is the alternator as it can only realistically be that or the smart charge wiring, 13.5 volts is a good average and is this problem throwing a light up.

The alternator is as old as the car - 2007. There is no alternator/battery warning light showing on the dash. The two times it showed up was when I had the incompatible energy management module on and the car stopped on the road while idling. The battery voltage then was 11.2 volts.

check the voltage from the alternator should be 14-14.5v on a multimeter

After I installed the compatible module, the voltage measured at the battery boost posts under the hood showed 14.0 volts constantly but with the DTCs 02254  (Interface to Generator 004 - No Signal/Communication) and 03041 (Energy Management Active 000). The earlier DTC with the incompatible module 02479 (Partial Consumer Shut-Off Active 000) has disappeared. The voltage goes down from 12.4 volts while cranking before it stabilizes to 14.0 volts.

check the plug wring from the alternator for corrosion I have known it to be corroded under the insulation and the wire is brown  and not copper coloured which causes a resistance especially on the pulse wire to the ECU, there is also a situation where the regulator in the alternator is going up the wall and sends a voltage spike

I will check the alternator plug wiring for corrosion and the voltage regulator for spikes. On the VCDS graph, the alternator specified voltage is a straight line while the battery actual voltage varies 0.1 volt. 

Thank you again Steve and best regards

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DeeWS said:

The alternator is as old as the car - 2007. There is no alternator/battery warning light showing on the dash. The two times it showed up was when I had the incompatible energy management module on and the car stopped on the road while idling. The battery voltage then was 11.2 volts.

After I installed the compatible module, the voltage measured at the battery boost posts under the hood showed 14.0 volts constantly but with the DTCs 02254  (Interface to Generator 004 - No Signal/Communication) and 03041 (Energy Management Active 000). The earlier DTC with the incompatible module 02479 (Partial Consumer Shut-Off Active 000) has disappeared. The voltage goes down from 12.4 volts while cranking before it stabilizes to 14.0 volts.

I will check the alternator plug wiring for corrosion and the voltage regulator for spikes. On the VCDS graph, the alternator specified voltage is a straight line while the battery actual voltage varies 0.1 volt. 

Thank you again Steve and best regards

Hi let me know what you come up with, and if possible check the alternator output at the plug, back probe style.

Steve

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi let me know what you come up with, and if possible check the alternator output at the plug, back probe style.

Steve

Hi Steve

I was away outside the country in April/May and nowhere near my car. Returned 10 days ago. As the Q7 alternator is way down on the right in the engine bay, obviously I could not reach the connector by myself. I got an appointment with an auto electric shop for last Saturday, provided them written details along with the log showing that the Generator Interface shows Not OK at specified alternator voltage 14.5 volts and it becomes OK when specified alternator voltage is 14.6 volts or greater (does not show > 15 volts). I asked them to check the blue wire on both sides for continuity and check the output voltage using back probe. 

He said they would do their own scan and charge me $ 160 for the scan. After a week he says I should replace the alternator which as it involves mechanical work, they would not do. I doubt he has checked the blue wire at all. I now have to collect the car today, pay him $ 160 and wonder if I replace the alternator at an alternator shop even though VCDS shows the alternator as OK.

Have a good weekend.

On 6/10/2023 at 1:23 PM, DeeWS said:

Hi Steve

I was away outside the country in April/May and nowhere near my car. Returned 10 days ago. As the Q7 alternator is way down on the right in the engine bay, obviously I could not reach the connector by myself. I got an appointment with an auto electric shop for last Saturday, provided them written details along with the log showing that the Generator Interface shows Not OK at specified alternator voltage 14.5 volts and it becomes OK when specified alternator voltage is 14.6 volts or greater (does not show > 15 volts). I asked them to check the blue wire on both sides for continuity and check the output voltage using back probe. 

He said they would do their own scan and charge me $ 160 for the scan. After a week he says I should replace the alternator which as it involves mechanical work, they would not do. I doubt he has checked the blue wire at all. I now have to collect the car today, pay him $ 160 and wonder if I replace the alternator at an alternator shop even though VCDS shows the alternator as OK.

Have a good weekend.

Hi Dawood I really think that changing the alternator would be best policy as they will have to check its charging correctly and if its not they will have to find out why, but I honestly think its the internal voltage regulator thats gone bad especially in view of its age.

Steve.

3 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Dawood I really think that changing the alternator would be best policy as they will have to check its charging correctly and if its not they will have to find out why, but I honestly think its the internal voltage regulator thats gone bad especially in view of its age.

Steve.

Hi Steve

When I went to collect the car, the auto electrician said that he really did check the continuity of the wire from the alternator. He mentioned that the output voltage was lower initially but increased later. I do not know if he did it back probe style. Looking around for alternator shops that can do the job. The closest in my area quoted $ 250 labour, $ 45 for coolant and $ 650 for refurbished alternator or $ 1500 for a new alternator. I know the voltage regulator can be replaced but I do not know if the guys here do it.

Thanks a lot again Steve for all your advice.

Best regards

Dawood

On 6/11/2023 at 10:32 PM, DeeWS said:

Hi Steve

When I went to collect the car, the auto electrician said that he really did check the continuity of the wire from the alternator. He mentioned that the output voltage was lower initially but increased later. I do not know if he did it back probe style. Looking around for alternator shops that can do the job. The closest in my area quoted $ 250 labour, $ 45 for coolant and $ 650 for refurbished alternator or $ 1500 for a new alternator. I know the voltage regulator can be replaced but I do not know if the guys here do it.

Thanks a lot again Steve for all your advice.

Best regards

Dawood

Hi I don't know what the exchange rate is but you might be better off sourcing a replacement on eBay as I am sure it won't come to that!, I get my alternators done locally and a refurb with a three year guarantee is only about £350, do some research and find out if there is anyone that does reconditioning in your neck of the woods.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2023 at 2:17 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi I don't know what the exchange rate is but you might be better off sourcing a replacement on eBay as I am sure it won't come to that!, I get my alternators done locally and a refurb with a three year guarantee is only about £350, do some research and find out if there is anyone that does reconditioning in your neck of the woods.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks again. I followed your advice, got a remanufactured alternator shipped from the US and had it installed at an alternator workshop. Drove it home - everything looked OK. Next day I left for a long holiday and returned yesterday.

Went grocery shopping this morning and car started (cold engine?) without any problem. To return, the car only cranked and would not start. I had to wait quite some time (engine cooled down?) before the car would start. 

On reaching home, suspecting starter or relay, I took a scan. Found several DTCs in the engine module showing no communication intermittently between it and other modules including the battery regulation module. That module itself had intermittent "No communication with Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)".

I also lost the Date/Time.

Best regards

Dawood

Wednesday,09,August,2023,14:28:12:36750
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 11 x64
VCDS Version: 23.3.1.0 (x64)  HEX-NET2 CB: 0.4631.5
Data version: 20230421 DS346.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WA1AV94L87D028785   License Plate: SUBEDAR
Mileage: 195570km-121521mi   Repair Order: 

Chassis Type: 4L (4L0)
Scan: 01 02 03 05 08 09 15 16 17 19 34 36 3C 42 46 4F 52 55 61 62
          65 6D 6F 72 76

VIN: WA1AV94L87D028785   Mileage: 195570km-121521miles

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
34-Level Control -- Status: OK 0000
36-Seat Mem. Drvr -- Status: OK 0000
3C-Lane Change -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
4F-Centr. Electr. II -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
61-Battery Regul. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
6D-Trunk Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
6F-Centr. Conv. II -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
76-Park Assist -- Status: OK 0000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels:. 079-907-560-BAR.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 560 C    HW: 4L0 907 560 A
   Component: 4.2l V8/4V          0060  
   Revision: --H16---    Serial number:               
   Coding: 01210009190F0D60
   Shop #: WSC 93009 999 69271
   VCID: 280293ED8EFBE3AA67B-807C
   VINID: 9D105198911C2075000881C81464961F84

6 Faults Found:
049425 - No Communication with Battery Energy Control Module 
               U0111 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 195549 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2006.07.28
                    Time: 16:36:39

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 676 /min
                    Load: 23.1 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 46.0°C
                    Temperature: 23.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.589 V

049412 - No Communication with Cruise Control Module 
               U0104 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 17:59:20

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 0 /min
                    Load: 0.0 %
                    Temperature: 45.0°C
                    Temperature: 29.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 12.192 V

049508 - No Communications with HVAC Control Module (J301) 
               U0164 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 17:59:21

Freeze Frame:

049511 - Immobilizer Control Module 
               U0167 - 008 - No Communications - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005634 - Power Supply Terminal 30 
               P1602 - 002 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Mileage: 0 km

Freeze Frame:
                    Temperature: -40.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 0.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 0.000 V

000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) 
               P0322 - 004 - No Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100100
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Mileage: 195565 km
                    Date: 2006.03.20
                    Time: 09:53:40

Freeze Frame:
                    Temperature: 72.0°C
                    Voltage: 10.795 V

Readiness: 0010 0101

Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 09D-927-750.clb
   Part No SW: 09D 927 750 FH    HW: 09D 927 750 FH
   Component: AL 750 6A           0959  
   Revision: 00H52000    Serial number:               
   Coding: 0000504
   Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
   VCID: 79A486A925D1AA22485-802C

No fault code found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels:. 4L0-910-517-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 517 A    HW: 4L0 614 517 A
   Component: ESP ALLRAD MK25E1   0130  
   Revision: 00H21001    
   Coding: 0021553

No fault code found.

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth.        Labels:. 4F0-910-852.clb
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 852     HW: 4F0 905 852 B
   Component: FBSAUDIC6 ELV   H31 0210  
   Revision: 27120501    Serial number: 10601000468570
   Coding: 0000135
   VCID: 6398C4C1B75D40F2729-8036

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4F0 910 131 L
   Component: FBSAUDIC6 EZS   H45 0080

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 4F0 910 220 G
   Component: FBSAUDIC6 IDG   H01 0060

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 4L0-910-043.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 043     HW: 4L0 820 043 F
   Component: KLIMABETAETIGUNGH05 0060  
   Revision: 00---008    Serial number: 00000000045729
   Coding: 0786472
   VCID: 6194CEC9AD4152E2605-8034

No fault code found.

Address 09: Cent. Elect.        Labels: 4F0-910-279.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 279 J    HW: 4F0 907 279 A
   Component: ILM Fahrer      H17 0240  
   Revision: 00000000    Serial number: 4F0907279     
   Coding: 0114114
   VCID: 30327B8DB62BAB6ABFB-8064

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4L1 910 113   Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
   Component: Wischer AU716   H12 0080  
   Coding: 00064792
   Shop #: WSC 31414  

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 4E0 910 557 A  Labels: 8K0-955-559.CLB
   Component: REGENLICHTSENSORH13 0090  
   Coding: 00150059

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 4L0-910-655.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 655 A    HW: 4L0 959 655 B
   Component: 74 AIRBAG AUDI8RH39 0210  
   Revision: 03H39000    Serial number: 0038QD031BG   
   Coding: 0014132
   VCID: 2B086CE19F0DC8B28A9-807E

Subsystem 1 - Serial number: 6332QSME103C27415

Subsystem 2 - Serial number: 6342QSME104F781DP

Subsystem 3 - Serial number: 6352QSME10161D010

Subsystem 4 - Serial number: 6362QSME1050236FA

Subsystem 5 - Serial number: 63734SME0E140975+

Subsystem 6 - Serial number: 63834SME0E123143U

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 4F0-910-549.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 549 A    HW: 4F0 953 549 C
   Component: J0527               0410  
   Revision: 00H03000    Serial number: 90026061590044
   Coding: 0012242
   VCID: 270090D183E5ECD26E1-8072

Subsystem 1 - Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX 
   Component: E0221           H07 0090

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 4L0-910-xxx-17.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 930 C    HW: 4L0 920 930 J
   Component: KOMBIINSTR. M73 H17 0110  
   Revision: 00200000    Serial number: 5HK340K66     
   Coding: 2673363
   Shop #: WSC 12345 111 45725
   VCID: 231884C1F7DD00F2329-8076

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels:. 4L0-910-468.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 468     HW: 4L0 907 468 A
   Component: J533__Gateway   H06 0040  
   Revision: 00H06000    Serial number: 0800D066138245
   Coding: F5D7BE7F040000
   Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
   VCID: 6C8AAFFD5A830F8AC33-8038

No fault code found.

Address 34: Level Control        Labels: 4L0-910-553.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 553 B    HW: 4L0 907 553 
   Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC    H03 7550  
   Revision: --H03001    Serial number: 15.1528-0095.2
   Coding: 0015520
   VCID: 290496E995F1DAA2785-807C

No fault code found.

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr        Labels: None
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 760     HW: 4L0 959 760 
   Component: Sitzmemory FS   H01 0100  
   Revision: 00000000    Serial number: 00000000896401
   Coding: 0082954

No fault code found.

Address 3C: Lane Change        Labels: None
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 566 A    HW: 4L0 907 566 A
   Component: J0769_SWA_MasterH06 0060  
   Revision: 00H06000    Serial number: 6PZ 009 014-00
   Coding: 0010001
   VCID: 2C0A6FFD9A03CF8A833-8078

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4L0 910 568 A
   Component: J0770_SWA_Slave_H05 0060

Subsystem 2 - Serial number: 6PZ 009 014-20

Subsystem 3 - Serial number: 3F27.06.0600H0500000010396ÿ

Subsystem 4 - Serial number: 010396ÿ

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver        Labels: 4L0-910-793-42.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 793 B    HW: 4L0 959 793 B
   Component: TSG FA          H12 0130  
   Revision: 00-00000    
   Coding: 0051915
   VCID: 2F3078F1AB15B492A61-807A

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels:. 4L0-910-289.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 289 D    HW: 4L0 907 289 A
   Component: Komfortgeraet   H05 0020  
   Revision: 0020 ---    Serial number: 01015203050000
   Coding: 7632925
   VCID: 31347E89BD21A262B05-8064

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K0 951 605 C
   Component: LIN BACKUP HORN H03 1301

No fault code found.

Address 4F: Centr. Electr. II        Labels: 4F0-910-280.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 280     HW: 4F0 907 280 B
   Component: ILM Beifahrer   H10 0080  
   Revision:             Serial number: 00000000029029
   Coding: 0012001
   VCID: 5EEEF5359C3F6D1A5D7-800A

No fault code found.

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.        Labels: 4L0-910-793-52.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 793 B    HW: 4L0 959 792 B
   Component: TSG BF          H12 0130  

No fault code found.

Address 55: Headlight Range        Labels: 4F0-910-357.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 357 F    HW: 4F0 907 357 F
   Component: AFS 1           H01 0020  
   Revision: 00000001    Serial number:               
   Coding: 0000022

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 7L6 941 329 A
   Component: AFS-Modul links H06 0002

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 7L6 941 329 A
   Component: AFS-Modul rechtsH06 0002

No fault code found.

Address 61: Battery Regul.        Labels: 4F0-910-181.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 181     HW: 4L0 915 181 
   Component: J0644 BEM       H12 0530  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: 00000000061494
   Shop #: WSC 00681 210 61343
   VCID: 649AC7DDB25347CA8B3-8030

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 000 915 105 CE
   Component: von VA0  221231EN01       
   Coding: 3030303931353130354345564130323231323331454E3031

1 Fault Found:
01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) 
            004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 5
                    Reset counter: 162
                    Mileage: 195572 km
                    Date: 2006.04.17
                    Time: 12:21:22

Address 62: Door, Rear Left        Labels: 4L0-910-795.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 795 B    HW: 4L0 959 795 B
   Component: TSG HL          H21 0050  
   Coding: 0051722

No fault code found.

Address 65: Tire Pressure        Labels: 4F0-910-273-BA.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 273 B    HW: 4F0 907 273 A
   Component: Reifendruck 3   H05 0100  
   Revision: 00050100    Serial number: 00000900023913
   Coding: 0062424
   VCID: 221681C5E8C709FA39F-8076

No fault code found.

Address 6D: Trunk Elect.        Labels: 4L0-910-945.clb
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 945     HW: 4L0 827 851 A
   Component: ValeoHeckdeckel H20 0280  
   Revision: --H20001    Serial number: E5030000B     
   Shop #: WSC 98765 666 38354

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4L0 910 946 

Subsystem 2 - Serial number: E5030100B     

Subsystem 3 - Serial number: RD30.06.06--H20001001A0065ÿ

Subsystem 4 - Serial number: 1A0065ÿ

No fault code found.

Address 6F: Centr. Conv. II        Labels:. 4L0-910-290.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 290 A    HW: 4L0 907 290 A
   Component: ILM HINTEN 2    H05 0040  
   Revision: AAH05044    Serial number: 001738848-----
   Coding: 0003595
   VCID: 261E9DD584EFF5DA557-8072

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4L0 910 591 
   Component: J_245_EE14_SKB09H10 0160

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 4L0 910 591 
   Component: J_394_EE14_SKB09H10 0160

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 4L0 910 591 
   Component: J_392_EE14_SKB09H10 0160

No fault code found.

Address 72: Door, Rear Right        Labels: 4L0-910-795.lbl
   Part No SW: 4L0 910 795 B    HW: 4L0 959 794 B
   Component: TSG HR          H21 0050  

No fault code found.

Address 76: Park Assist        Labels: 4Fx-910-283.lbl
   Part No SW: 4F0 910 283 F    HW: 4F0 919 283 F
   Component: Parkhilfe 4-Kan H09 0060  
   Revision: 00H09000    Serial number: 06220616501283
   Coding: 0031246

No fault code found.

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:57, VBatt start/end: 13.5V/13.4V)-----------

17 hours ago, DeeWS said:

Hi Steve

Thanks again. I followed your advice, got a remanufactured alternator shipped from the US and had it installed at an alternator workshop. Drove it home - everything looked OK. Next day I left for a long holiday and returned yesterday.

Went grocery shopping this morning and car started (cold engine?) without any problem. To return, the car only cranked and would not start. I had to wait quite some time (engine cooled down?) before the car would start. 

On reaching home, suspecting starter or relay, I took a scan. Found several DTCs in the engine module showing no communication intermittently between it and other modules including the battery regulation module. That module itself had intermittent "No communication with Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)".

I also lost the Date/Time.

Best regards

Dawood

Wednesday,09,August,2023,14:28:12:36750
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WA1AV94L87D028785   License Plate: SUBEDAR
Mileage: 195570km-121521mi   Repair Order: 

65 6D 6F 72 76

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
61-Battery Regul. -- Status: Malfunction 0010

6 Faults Found:
049425 - No Communication with Battery Energy Control Module 
               U0111 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 16:36:39

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 676 /min
                    Load: 23.1 %
                    Temperature: 46.0°C
                    Temperature: 23.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.589 V

049412 - No Communication with Cruise Control Module 
               U0104 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 17:59:20

Freeze Frame:

049508 - No Communications with HVAC Control Module (J301) 
               U0164 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

049511 - Immobilizer Control Module 
               U0167 - 008 - No Communications - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005634 - Power Supply Terminal 30 
               P1602 - 002 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Mileage: 0 km

Freeze Frame:
                    Absolute Pres.: 0.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 0.000 V

000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) 
               P0322 - 004 - No Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Mileage: 195565 km
                    Date: 2006.03.20
                    Time: 09:53:40

Freeze Frame:
                    Temperature: 72.0°C
                    Voltage: 10.795 V

Readiness: 0010 0101

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 000 915 105 CE
   Component: von VA0  221231EN01       
   Coding: 3030303931353130354345564130323231323331454E3031

1 Fault Found:
01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) 
            004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 5
                    Reset counter: 162
                    Mileage: 195572 km
                    Date: 2006.04.17
                    Time: 12:21:22

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:57, VBatt start/end: 13.5V/13.4V)-----------

Hi wipe the codes and see what re emerges, the dates look pretty old or is that a quirk of your computer, sometimes the modules become clogged with redundant info and need clearing but if you clear all codes only the ones that are relevant  should reappear, the headlight range module is a bit strange as I am assuming your model will have levelling sensors on the front and rear.

Steve.

5 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi wipe the codes and see what re emerges, the dates look pretty old or is that a quirk of your computer, sometimes the modules become clogged with redundant info and need clearing but if you clear all codes only the ones that are relevant  should reappear, the headlight range module is a bit strange as I am assuming your model will have levelling sensors on the front and rear.

Steve.

I individually cleared the fault codes from modules 01 (Engine) and 61 (Battery Regulation). I started the car (started smoothly without any hesitation) and let the engine idle for about 45 minutes and then ran an auto scan. I did not get any fault codes in any of the modules. I had noticed however that in Advanced Measuring Values Group 010 for Battery Regulation module 61, the Generator Interface was oscillating between OK and Not OK continuously. The battery state of charge showed 100% so the battery did get fully charged by the new alternator. The engine speed in the Engine module values was 640 so the sensor should be working. Looked at other measured values in the Engine module and they seem alright.

After stopping the engine, I restarted the engine after a few minutes. There was a slight hesitancy (cranking) but the engine started. I do not know however, if after driving the car and parking if I will have the crank-no-start issue again.

Thanks again and best regards.

Thursday,10,August,2023,16:48:00:36750
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WA1AV94L87D028785   License Plate: 

65 6D 6F 72 76

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
61-Battery Regul. -- Status: OK 0000

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 0101

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 000 915 105 CF
   Component: von VA0  221231EN10       
   Coding: 3030303931353130354346564130323231323331454E3130

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:53, VBatt start/end: 13.3V/13.3V)-----------

On 8/11/2023 at 12:48 AM, DeeWS said:

Went to check the car starting again. Did not start just cranks. 

Hi sorry for the late reply but I had to do some research my end, the battery charge oscillation is quite normal as when it assesses the battery is nearly at full charge it starts cutting back so it wont overcharge, as for the starting problem the general consensus is that its the fuel supply, could be the lift pump in the tank they become weaker with age and are prone to this type of problem as when warm they don't pump the fuel as efficiently.

Steve.