Mystery white crystals/powder forming on seat

Mike St Cross

Hi - first poster here, so apologies if I'm not aiming this question in the right direction!

I opened my passenger car door this morning to discover strange white crystals growing on the seat, through the back of seat and into the footwell behind. I last used the car a week ago and nothing was left on the passenger seat. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before or any suggestions as to what it could be? People have suggested it could be from the air con, air bag or battery (as I believe the battery is under the front passenger seat), but I'm not sure how that would be possible. I can't attempt to clean it until I know what it is, as it could potentially react to water, and Audi Q7 car seats are not cheap!

Any suggestions/ideas very gratefully received.

Mike

Ps It is not an illicit class one substance - I have already had a joker tell me to keep my stash in the glovebox!

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

Thanks Dan - we thought that it was a sodium-based substance as well, but my son has solved it for me - last weekend I refilled with Adblue and left the 'empty' container on the front seat over night, which must have leaked. Photos found on Reddit shows that Adblue creates white powder and crystals if not cleared up. I should have realised this as I've ruined more than one pair of shoes with this stuff when filling the car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike St Cross said:

Hi Steve - I'm using plenty of water, but the white ring seems pretty stubborn. I will persevere!

You might need specific car fabric cleaner. It's quite potant stuff adblue. 

• 1 month later...