Is there a genuine parts database for Audi?

Collettes Dad

Hi,

My daughter and her boyfriend are buying this Q3 2015 1.4 petrol today. Sadly neither are mechanically minded and I'm sure the Cam Belt needs changing as this car is 8 years old and has done 48,000 miles. Audi have quoted £840 for the repair and a local garage £420. Is it possible to find out who supplies Audi with the genuine parts? I know BMW have a parts database identifying all the genuine parts suppliers for their vehicles.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Collettes Dad said:

Hi,

My daughter and her boyfriend are buying this Q3 2015 1.4 petrol today. Sadly neither are mechanically minded and I'm sure the Cam Belt needs changing as this car is 8 years old and has done 48,000 miles. Audi have quoted £840 for the repair and a local garage £420. Is it possible to find out who supplies Audi with the genuine parts? I know BMW have a parts database identifying all the genuine parts suppliers for their vehicles.

Thanks

Hi wouldn't worry about the genuine parts bit as they all use aftermarket belt kits in their boxes hence the price from Audi, wanna pay extra for a box with Audi on it, you can't go wrong with Gates or Dayco thats what my daughters car is running changed over two years ago and no dramas.

Steve.

Hello Ian,

My recommendation would be to use Gates if you are not buying from Audi - at discount. I well appreciate that Audi re-box supplier’s products. Indeed I quoted a couple of days ago that a ‘genuine boxed Audi ‘ cambelt kit (supplied in 2020) had a  Gates belt in a separate Audi box within the overall boxed kit. Obviously sufficient evidence that Gates supply Audi. 
I’ve used Gates kits for decades, and had noticed that their in-box tensioners and idlers were manufactured by the well respected bearing supplier - INA. 
I do recall a few years back thinking that the INA tensioner in one kit was a bit rougher and sloppier than I had previously experienced. I now notice various other components under the INA brand, and just wonder whether this brand may have become a diluted brand name. Answer - I don’t know. 

All important water pumps:- For right or for wrong, I’ve always bought the main dealer pumps, and been prepared to pay that little extra cost within the overall expensive bill. I do this with Audi, since I don’t know who makes their pumps. So the upshot is that I don’t buy water-pump-included kits, but buy the water pump separately from a main dealer - usually with a bit of discount.

Dayco has been mentioned, and again I can only quote from my (in caps) recent experience where the water pump on a family member’s car failed after two years. Bad luck probably, but I think we all learn far more from bad experiences than we do from good. 
Well Ian, I think you now have some diverse, and in-common, opinion on which you can draw and hopefully make your own decision. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.