New Q8. First thoughts.

Francis007

I'm not sure whether people here will be interested in this post. However it is an Audi Q8 website so here goes.

If this is boring or not interesting please just ignore or delete.

I started a topic some weeks ago about putting an order in for a replacement Q8 55 TFSI for my existing one and being informed that the lead time for delivery from the Factory would be 25 weeks.

Since then the supplying Dealership got in touch and said that they had just had a new Q8 55 TFSI delivered and would I be interested rather than wait for the new order.

I gave it some thought and then 2 weeks ago drove the 180 miles from my home to where the Dealership is located to take a look. The car was a good spec for me. It was in the colour I wanted, black, and had the C and S pack that my last car had. However rather than an S line it was a Black Edition with 22 " wheels rather than 21's 

The car had all its protective stuff still on but it looked good and I made a decision to purchase it. Just a note to any other prospective Q 8 buyers on this Forum. This car is listed as a 23 spec model. In the next couple of months Audi will be supplying 23.5 models. Now the only diffference is that the C and S pack will now be called the Technology pack or Plus pack. Depending on what spec you choose, this gives you the full integrated camera system and uprated sound system as before but with a heads up display and a panoramic sunroof. By the way, all UK spec Q8's now have " Parking Plus pack " too.

Now I decided that I have been fortunate enough to have owned some pretty decent cars for over 55 years now and managed to live without a head up display and a sunroof which I would never open so I decided to go with the car that had just come in.

I have had the car for 1 week now and after 250 miles I am quite surprised how different it is to my old Q8. By the way, Iam old school so I intend to run this car in carefully for the first 1500 miles as I did my old one.

The differences are surprising and all good and probably a testament to the Audi engineers constantly tweeking and improving the car.

For a start the suspensionn seems to be much more supple than my old one. Despite the fact that this car runs on 22 " wheels on a 40 profile tyre rather than the 21 " wheel with a 45 profile. I wasnt expecting that and it is a suprise. It might have to do with the Original equipment on the 2020 car being Hankook tyres and this one running on Continental Contact Sport 6  tyres. Also I tend to run the car in " Comfort " mode most of the time. 

The second suprising thing is how Audi seemed to have worked on the dreadful lag in the lower gears on pick up. Something that seems to affect many newish Audis and is something to do with the softwear I believe. Even carefully adapting my revs at the moment before it is fully run in, the engine seems much more responsive and lively.

Apart from that and a few minor " design " changes like the oak effect panels and facia and the black start / stop button rather than a siver one, the car feels very " Audi ". Unsurpassed buid quality....no squeaks or rattles....beautifully comfortable and quiet  and a distinctive Audi look on the road that all Audis seem to have

As I said at the beginning, I hope this is of interest. If not, please ignore or delete

Frank.   

• Like 1