Should Audi give free counselling to owners buying spares.

Stevey Y

Hi Gents, the A6 is just coming up to 100k so I thought I had better start enquiring about the price of a new clutch, its a six speed manual gearbox, nothing fancy, it would appear that none of the usual aftermarket suppliers of LUK clutches can get them so I thought I would try the local dealers, what a conversation that was they offered a deal on supply and fit £2,800 with the VAT, after my missus had given me a blast on the Defib unit I politely declined and tried TPS they were marginally better at £1,500 for the parts, I phoned LUK direct and they claim they don't make the clutches but the bit of info I gleaned from an American forum reckons they are made by LUK in Eastern Europe,  what is the matter with these clowns, I think that Audi have not yet released LUK from the patent agreement yet but on a five year old vehicle, really, I am thinking I might just see how far the original clutch will go before taking a large bite of the guano sandwich, with that sort of attitude to after sales parts I definitely can't see anyone rushing out to bankrupt themselves on a new all electric model, god knows what mortgage sized prices the spare parts will command.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Without going back on old ground, I’ve often found that VAG parts prices at discount (in caps) are generally in line other manufacturers, with the exception of brake discs, and most certainly clutches. The need for these parts has always driven me down the road of good quality aftermarket, and I too would have gone for LUK. 
I’m sorry you have failed there, and wondered if you had tried Sachs - who may (also?) have been the OE supplier. 

Failing that, and if you do have to go down the VAG parts route, it could be worth getting a quote on the discount prices from Audi Parts Direct -Cardiff ( part of Mon Motors - the old Cardiff Audi) - Phil was the contact there, or Malcolm at Aberdeen Audi. 

An interesting point which I’m well out of touch with the current facts was that I understood a couple of decades ago that unlike the U.K. where we can walk into our local motor factors, our European friends were not blessed with such establishments, and had to go for main dealer parts. Probably all changed now, with on-line outlets, but it would be interested to have an update.

Perhaps you could let us know Steve, if the Sachs route comes up favourable, or it’s worth trying Continental on-line parts suppliers.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi Gareth, the clutches are definitely made by LUK I managed to get pictures of a second hand clutch on a German breakers site and it was the same model as mine except it was L/H drive and red, the clutch had LUK  stamped on it, I know its the patent release issue as I had the same problem with Ford until a year after the car was six years old they released to aftermarket and the clutch fell down price wise to half price.

With regard to type approval Europe ditched that back in the eighties as they suddenly realised how much the oe suppliers were making in the UK selling to the aftermarket outlets under their own name, will try Sachs its worth a go, thanks for the heads up.

Steve.

Hi 

Am I being a bit dim and looking at the wrong part. But GSF/Europarts have got clutch  kits from LUK for £120. Albeit out of stock at the moment.

Tony

12 hours ago, Anton8 said:

Hi 

Am I being a bit dim and looking at the wrong part. But GSF/Europarts have got clutch  kits from LUK for £120. Albeit out of stock at the moment.

Tony

Hi no you are not being dim, and indeed you may well be looking at the wrong part, believe me I have tried on both sites GSF/Euros and is all they could offer was an email alert if they ever get anywhere near it, loads of second hand units in breakers in Europe, it seems that the lower HP models have available clutches mostly for the DSG gearbox but not the manual, I even managed to get a printout from my local spares shops Audi parts system which is more up to date I have picture of it but no part numbers for the kit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:00 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi Gents, the A6 is just coming up to 100k so I thought I had better start enquiring about the price of a new clutch, its a six speed manual gearbox, nothing fancy, it would appear that none of the usual aftermarket suppliers of LUK clutches can get them so I thought I would try the local dealers, what a conversation that was they offered a deal on supply and fit £2,800 with the VAT, after my missus had given me a blast on the Defib unit I politely declined and tried TPS they were marginally better at £1,500 for the parts, I phoned LUK direct and they claim they don't make the clutches but the bit of info I gleaned from an American forum reckons they are made by LUK in Eastern Europe,  what is the matter with these clowns, I think that Audi have not yet released LUK from the patent agreement yet but on a five year old vehicle, really, I am thinking I might just see how far the original clutch will go before taking a large bite of the guano sandwich, with that sort of attitude to after sales parts I definitely can't see anyone rushing out to bankrupt themselves on a new all electric model, god knows what mortgage sized prices the spare parts will command.

Steve.

What the hell !  That is expensive ! 

On 7/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, Vulture said:

What the hell !  That is expensive ! 

Hi, correct its just like someone gripping your wallet in a steam press while you still have hold of it, making progress though the thieving gits must be getting desperate to sell one of these kits as I have been offered a £300 rebate from a German company as long as I send the old parts back, looks like they are going down the refurbished route in preparation for the tidal wave of new Milk  Floats they are going to sell, you know, the cars you have to remortgage the house to buy.

Steve.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, Anton8 said:

Hi 

Tony

Hi Gareth have uou tried autodoc I have purchased numerous things for my slk and a couple of bits for my a5