Drive belt tensioner failed

FirstG

Hi, 

2011 2.0 tdi 170,  Has anybody suffered from a failed drive belt tensioner? First thing that happened to me was loss of power steering, then a minute later a warning came up saying the battery was not being charged & a battery symbol flashes on & off. I haven't checked the belt yet but it points to this being the problem. If anybody has managed to sort the problem please let me know what you did & if it can be done easily enough as  DIY project.

Update,

I've just inspected & found the V belt to have split in half & snapped. It looked to be in pretty bad shape. Its been squealing a bit recently & the AC was regassed two weeks prior & has been on most of the time putting more strain on an already old & 'past it' V belt.  I'll get a new one fitted & report my findings back.

• Like 2

My local VAG independent, Chris Umpleby fitted a new belt & confirmed no issues & no damage. Just an old belt that had split into slivers & failed due to being old...