Coolant hose from reservoir to radiator broken HELP

figo_rulz11

Go to solution Solved by Itspointless,

Hi all,

Audi A4 2.0T TFSI B9 2017 facelift - 

Lost coolant few days ago, topped it up and last night heard my fans going crazy and temps showing 130c. 

Filled up again and checked engine bay and noticed the leak here. Any thoughts on the parts that may be involved and how to fix it? Is it a wider issue or just the hose needs replacing? 

Is it safe for me to drive this to a garage 20 min drive/15miles ? 

I've attached some photos and a video. 

PXL_20230730_095510700.jpg

PXL_20230730_095514443.jpg

Edited by figo_rulz11

You can see the outlet still clipped into the pipe. It's broken off the radiator. You could try and glue it but it's not gonna hold for long. The system will be pressurised when hot! 

You may be able to remove the radiator without taking the bumper off but I can't be sure. I'll look at mine later and see.

2 hours ago, Itspointless said:

You can see the outlet still clipped into the pipe. It's broken off the radiator. You could try and glue it but it's not gonna hold for long. The system will be pressurised when hot! 

You may be able to remove the radiator without taking the bumper off but I can't be sure. I'll look at mine later and see.

What do you mean outlet clip?

Thanks, I'll have to get it towed to the garage as it's not fit for driving with no coolant going to radiator! Really don't understand how it could snap like that ugh. 

Just to confirm it will be the radiator / clip itself not just the clip that has to be replaced? I'm just asking more for me to understand the issue but will be getting it towed to a garage for them to diagnose the issue. 

Edited by figo_rulz11

• Solution

If you look at the end that's broke off you can see the connector with the little silver circlip the same clip that's on the other end where it plugs into the expansion tank. Plugged into that clip on the radiator end is the radiator outlet that's broken off the radiator. 

It's part of the radiator and cannot be replaced, the pipe is fine but the radiator is buggered! 

I've just looked at mine and the radiator can be removed easily enough.

It could have been knocked at some point and weakened it, or excessive pressure in the cooling system could have caused the radiator to split or it could even be a case of someone breaking it in the past and glued it back on.

Anyway any good garage will be able to replace the radiator and check the cooling system is working properly.

Did you not get a coolant level warning appear on the dash? 

8 minutes ago, Itspointless said:

If you look at the end that's broke off you can see the connector with the little silver circlip the same clip that's on the other end where it plugs into the expansion tank. Plugged into that clip on the radiator end is the radiator outlet that's broken off the radiator. 

It's part of the radiator and cannot be replaced, the pipe is fine but the radiator is buggered! 

I've just looked at mine and the radiator can be removed easily enough.

It could have been knocked at some point and weakened it, or excessive pressure in the cooling system could have caused the radiator to split or it could even be a case of someone breaking it in the past and glued it back on.

Anyway any good garage will be able to replace the radiator and check the cooling system is working properly.

Did you not get a coolant level warning appear on the dash? 

Ahhh right okay this makes sense. Thanks for taking a picture as well, I see what you mean. Both sides have clips but one is from the radiator which is the one that's broken and can only be replaced by replacing the radiator itself. 👍🏽

At least I can speak to my garage with some knowledge now. Thank you once again buddy. Let's see what they say next week. 👍🏽

1 hour ago, Itspointless said:

Just to confirm, i took some more picture of the clip from the radiator side and this clip can't be undone and replace right, it still has to be the whole radiator?

Screenshot 2023-07-30 193056.jpg

Screenshot2023-07-30193433.jpg.0fd9d52473f999b45408a32c6445d59b.jpg

PXL_20230730_181736012.jpg

PXL_20230730_181604073.jpg

PXL_20230730_181610962.jpg

Edited by figo_rulz11

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update here, the mechanic has fixed the issue, replaced the quick acting coupling properly, greased the ends, new coolant and bleed too. Didn't have to replace radiator. All sorted no more leak and temp staying at 90c on dash 😊.

28 minutes ago, figo_rulz11 said:

Thought I'd update here, the mechanic has fixed the issue, replaced the quick acting coupling properly, greased the ends, new coolant and bleed too. Didn't have to replace radiator. All sorted no more leak and temp staying at 90c on dash 😊.

Glad you got sorted 🙂

• Thanks 1