Hi guys advice needed please?

D14NNE

So I took my A4 in for an MOT & service, and was given an inventory of costs totalling over £1594 to get it through the MOT…. 🤢 So I’m in a horrible situation where the MOT is going to run out very soon and I don’t want to get rid of my pride and joy 😔 The work that apparently needs doing is “renew fuel filter, renew dust & pollen filter, renew timing belt, wheel balance, renew front suspension link arm, renew throttle body & renew right rear coil spring. The engine light is stuck on and it looses power sometimes when accelerating”. Can anyone shed any light please? Thank you 🙏🏻 🚘 

Hi Dianne

I would imagine this was a bit of a shock.

Fuel filter, dust and pollen filter and the timing belt would not be part of the MOT. Get those done as soon as you can afford them. These jobs are possibly 50% of the bill. 

Throttle body is probably why you are losing power and causing the warning light. Front link arm possible the bushes are worn, coil spring may be broken. I think these would have to be done to pass MOT. 

Best of luck

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D14NNE said:

So I took my A4 in for an MOT & service, and was given an inventory of costs totalling over £1594 to get it through the MOT…. 🤢 So I’m in a horrible situation where the MOT is going to run out very soon and I don’t want to get rid of my pride and joy 😔 The work that apparently needs doing is “renew fuel filter, renew dust & pollen filter, renew timing belt, wheel balance, renew front suspension link arm, renew throttle body & renew right rear coil spring. The engine light is stuck on and it looses power sometimes when accelerating”. Can anyone shed any light please? Thank you 🙏🏻 🚘 

Hi the rear spring is a fail the timing belt is not a fail but will ruin the engine if it snaps, any idea when the last change was, you can't tell by looking at it the change is based on time or milage, the fuel filter is not a failure nor is the pollen filter and the throttle body, the engine light isa fail so I personally would get another garage to scan it for faultsand go from there, if you post the codes we can help with that.

Steve. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton8 said:

Hi Dianne

I would imagine this was a bit of a shock.

Fuel filter, dust and pollen filter and the timing belt would not be part of the MOT. Get those done as soon as you can afford them. These jobs are possibly 50% of the bill. 

Throttle body is probably why you are losing power and causing the warning light. Front link arm possible the bushes are worn, coil spring may be broken. I think these would have to be done to pass MOT. 

Best of luck

Tony

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the rear spring is a fail the timing belt is not a fail but will ruin the engine if it snaps, any idea when the last change was, you can't tell by looking at it the change is based on time or milage, the fuel filter is not a failure nor is the pollen filter and the throttle body, the engine light isa fail so I personally would get another garage to scan it for faultsand go from there, if you post the codes we can help with that.

Steve. 

Just now, D14NNE said:

Aww thanks guys. I was a bit WTF. So I thought I would reach out to the people that understand these cars. So I guess the throttle would make sense 👍🏻